Argentine Tax Question

I was told I had 30 days to get a DNI but since every Renaper office is closed it’s impossible.
Are you sure they sent you to RENAPER? Didn't they tell you to start your paperwork online as soon as the Distanciamiento Social Preventivo y Obligatorio finishes?

I don't have a recommendation; everything I believe about this stuff I got from my own research, some of it gleaned from the contributions of people on this website in other threads. Other users of this website may have other information, or a recommendation for an accountant.

I think you actually have four broad questions you need answers to:

1) Are your income and overseas wealth/assets subject to Argentina tax (I suspect not, if your annual visit schedule stays as you describe it).

2) How do you need to behave to keep them exempt from Argentine tax (i.e., in what circumstances could your income and overseas wealth/assets become taxable if you stray from your current pattern).

3) Even if exempt from income and assets tax, do you need to, technically, do anything specific--now that you are an Argentine (migration) resident--to comply with Argentine legal reporting requirements in respect of taxation (e.g., lodge an annual declaration even if you have no taxable income or wealth to declare).

4) If you do need to, technically, do something (like lodge a nil declaration), is it wise to do so, and what would be the risk of not doing so (and how would you go about not doing so).

Last edited:
Yes I’m sure thanks.
Ok. You will need your DNI and your CUIT number if you need to open a local bank account (caja de ahorros) which is good to pay with debit card. You cannot transfer money direct from a USA bank account.
If you stay here less than 180 days a year, you will not need to pay taxes as long as you do not own a personal assets (real estate, cars, etc.) above the "mínimo no imponible" which is a fix amount that changes from time to time so you need to take that into consideration. If you have nothing to be taxed, then you don't need to submit anything to the tax authority.

Ok. You will need your DNI and your CUIT number if you need to open a local bank account (caja de ahorros) which is good to pay with debit card. You cannot transfer money direct from a USA bank account.
If you stay here less than 180 days a year, you will not need to pay taxes as long as you do not own a personal assets (real estate, cars, etc.) above the "mínimo no imponible" which is a fix amount that changes from time to time so you need to take that into consideration. If you have nothing to be taxed, then you don't need to submit anything to the tax authority.
Can you clarify if one can complete 180 consecutive days in Argentina before paying tax, or it if is necessary that one's maximum of 180 days include no single stay of more than 90 days. (I read somewhere that you also become liable for tax if you stay over 90 days in a single stretch.)

Can you clarify if one can complete 180 consecutive days in Argentina before paying tax, or it if is necessary that one's maximum of 180 days include no single stay of more than 90 days. (I read somewhere that you also become liable for tax if you stay over 90 days in a single stretch.)
Time alone is not enough to comprehend your tax position. For example: if you have assets (bienes personales) you pay taxes, does not matter if you just stay 3 days in a year.

Last edited:
I understand that: as I said to OP, if he has local assets, he is up for the bienes personales tax on those regardless of how many days he spends here (even if he spends no days here). My question is quite specific: If someone has income and overseas assets, do these become taxable only from the 181st day of the tax year the individual spends in Argentina, or do they become taxable from the 91st day (if the person has spent 90 continuous days in Argentina)? I saw a claim somewhere that to remain tax exempt you can spend up to 180 days in Argentina, provided those 180 days do not include more than 90 days continuous presence here. I am interested to know if the part in itallics is correct.

My question is quite specific: If someone has income and overseas assets, do these become taxable only from the 181st day of the tax year the individual spends in Argentina, or do they become taxable from the 91st day (if the person has spent 90 continuous days in Argentina)? I saw a claim somewhere that to remain tax exempt you can spend up to 180 days in Argentina, provided those 180 days do not include more than 90 days continuous presence here. I am interested to know if the part in itallics is correct.

What kind of situation are you describing here? a foreigner who is in Argentina with a tourist visa?

Back