Argentine Visa Cards Faster?

Will this mean more efficient and up to date card payment systems in Argentina?

I read the article in the link and it appears to be about the"card payment system" to merchants (as opposed to the payment system for consumers).

If there is anything inefficient" or outdated"about the current card payment system by consumers, I can't think of any.

I receive email notices when the payments are due and I can pay online with a few clicks (from my laptop or my cell phone).

If I wanted to, I could enable automatic monthly payments from my savings account and not have to do anything.

Perhaps there are some expats who own businesses in Argentina and accept credit card payments that will be affected by this, but I don't think it will have any effect on those who are paying for goods and services with their Visa credit card, unless it means that merchants will stop charging extra for those that do.

And for that I am not holding my breath.

I read the article in the link and it appears to be about the"card payment system" to merchants (as opposed to the payment system for consumers).

If there is anything inefficient" or outdated"about the current card payment system by consumers, I can't think of any.

I receive email notices when the payments are due and I can pay online with a few clicks (from my laptop or my cell phone).

If I wanted to, I could enable automatic monthly payments from my savings account and not have to do anything.

Perhaps there are some expats who own businesses in Argentina and accept credit card payments that will be affected by this, but I don't think it will have any effect on those who are paying for goods and services with their Visa credit card, unless it means that merchants will stop charging extra for those that do.

And for that I am not holding my breath.

Interesting , some good points.

I mean outdated in so far as chip and pin, and contactless standards. In use in Europe for over a decade, still a rarity here...

The whole process of using a card to pay for items anywhere, even at s supermarket, seems abysmally slow. I'm resigned to it somewhat, but this article gave me some hope!

Cheers!

The whole process of using a card to pay for items anywhere, even at s supermarket, seems abysmally slow.

Compared to waiting in line at the supermarket to get to the caja to check out and pay, I find the process of paying with a credit card to be relatively fast, especially if you hand the cashier your DNI with the CC.

Even if they have to enter your DNI # as well as the security code and perhaps the expiration date and/or another four digit number from the card, that only adds a few seconds to the payment process.

The only time it takes longer to pay is when the cashier has to change the roll of paper to print the receipt, but when that happens it doesn't mater if your paying in cash or with a credit or debit card.

Compared to so many other things in Argentina, I regard the time required to pay for anything with a credit card of no significance whatsoever.

PS: It does takes more time to pay with an Argentine debit card if you are also getting cash from your bank account. The limit is now $5000 pesos per day (as far as Ii know), but not having to find an ATM with available cash or having to wait in line to use one clearly saves a lot of time.

tap to pay would be nice
Scan to pay with a subcutaneous microchip will be even faster.

PS: And it will undoubtedly come to Europe and the USA before it is implemented in Argentina.

Last edited:
Back