"Argentines risking all..." Associated Press

My thought: yep. It's amazing how easy it is to be en negro here.

The Piparo case is super sad, and it is amazing how many salideras have happened since them that get much less coverage because the story is not as extreme.

I agree that the system here is not ideal, and robberies are way to common and tragic at banks, however this Yahoo article has so many things taken out of context.......

It is impossible to deal electronically here. Even when you transfer money to Argentina elecronically you still have to draw it and pay cash to buy property.
Lack of trust in the banking system, is making life easy fot Los Ladrones.

Davidglen77 said:
I agree that the system here is not ideal, and robberies are way to common and tragic at banks, however this Yahoo article has so many things taken out of context.......

As a resident expat I have experienced this situation first hand when selling my wife´s apartment and then when we went to buy another apartment. The process is that you gather up all your cash at your bank safe deposit box and carry it in the street to the the bank that is carrying the mortgage. Since there are only 100 peso notes it is no easy task to conceal 320,000 peso notes. (10,000 pesos is about an inch thick so we are talking about 3 feet of cash to hide on your body)

Once the two parties meet than the fun begins as the bills need to be counted and verified by both parties. Then it is off into the streets again as we go back to our bank that has our safe deposit box.

God forbid that we get robbed as we would be without our apartment, money to buy a new one and no recourse to get our money back.

Some of the article maybe out of context but there is an underlying distrust to the banks, governments, police and strangers in this society that make this the only acceptable means to perform financial transactions. Electronic transfers and checks would solve a lot of this but I do not see this happening because of this distrust.

Ironically the man that we bought the apartment from had not paid taxes in over 10 years and had to turn over almost half the proceeds of the sale to the government who had a representative at the bank.

The issue with the pregnant woman being stopped on the street and shot is very sad. But it is very suspect in that the bank teller told her to come back the next day and see him. It is suspected that the teller was in on spotting the woman for the thieves. This just adds to the distrust of the banks.

I would never move large sums of cash down the street, if I cannot get to do it using some electronic method or certified check, I would hire an armored truck service to move the cash from one bank to the other, better be safe than sorry ( or dead )

I think the worst part is that there is nothing to deter these criminals from doing things like this. They could have just taken the money but they chose to try to kill her instead. And I doubt that any of the people actually responsible for it will actually end up behind bars.

A teenager under 18 in Argentina can kill 100 people and not serve one minute in prison. With ridiculous laws like this, how can we expect that the government here would actually try to do something to protect it's people?

The entire safety system here needs to be redone, from top to bottom.

A friend of mine just bought a house and he had to hire an armored car to transport cash from Bank A to Bank B.

And wire transfers into this country are a disaster and subject to all types of delay. I've had a payment from a client sitting at the Central Bank since June b/c they have "questions." This despite the fact we have received payments in the exact same format for a year and no problems. And you have to clear dollars into pesos and then back into dollars which has some added costs.

nikad said:
I would hire an armored truck service to move the cash from one bank to the other, better be safe than sorry ( or dead )

You would trust strangers with your money? That is so unArgentine! :)

There was nothing "out of context" in the article. Everything the author said is 100% true. The system is insane but is isn't changing because the politicians like it the way it is. People will cry about the crime problems and they will vote in the same politicians again. It's a hopeless mess and I am getting very weary of it.

Back