Argentines: want to travel? You need Cristina's permission

You said it
We are between Chavezlandia and Fidelmania
And are we going to do about it? Probably nada
Just bitch and finds ways around it

Just curious to know if this applies to those of us who have DNI and residency.

Gringoboy said:
Just curious to know if this applies to those of us who have DNI and residency.

I would suggest anyone with an international credit card book via a non Argentine airline on an international website like Expedia.

Alternatively buy a cheap day return to Urugauy and fly from Montevideo.

(assuming you have something to hide)

solerboy said:
I would suggest anyone with an international credit card book via a non Argentine airline on an international website like Expedia.

Alternatively buy a cheap day return to Urugauy and fly from Montevideo.

(assuming you have something to hide)

This is really bad advice. Buy with your Argentine credit card at an international site and pay in pesos at the official exchange rate.

el_expatriado said:
This is really bad advice. Buy with your Argentine credit card at an international site and pay in pesos at the official exchange rate.

And how will this conceal your travel plans from AFIP ?

I am not sure why one way, buying with international credit card or argentina, is "really bad advice." Maybe el_expatriado can expand on the why it is "really bad advice."

As for concealing the transaction, I don't think concealment is the issue. I think, as I read the news, the issue is buying from Argentina company then requires the reporting. So if you buy from a company outside Argentina there is no reporting requirement. Argentina is trying to follow the money of Argentina travel agents, I believe.

che said:
As for concealing the transaction, I don't think concealment is the issue. I think, as I read the news, the issue is buying from Argentina company then requires the reporting. So if you buy from a company outside Argentina there is no reporting requirement. Argentina is trying to follow the money of Argentina travel agents, I believe.

I read on another report, sorry I cant remember where, that the move was also to detect those taxpayers who are under declaring income and by examining their travel behaviour. For expample a trip to the US would be deemed to cost the traveller us$120 per day in living expenses, and this would be compared to the taxpayers declared income.

Forgive me but maybe i don't understand the system very well but isn't the AFIP just trying to get people to pay their proper share of taxes? It seems like a lot of business is done here under the table anyway. I understand that the government is capable of squandering the tax revenue, but all these restrictions that have been coming up in the past year seem to target people that don't want to declare their income.

Back