Argentinian Wines

Pensador

Registered
Last night I was talking with a friend of mine about the fact that some of the wines coming out of Mendoza did not seem to have the quality they had a few years ago. In fact a few of them were giving me a head ache which I had never experienced with these labels before. I know wines change from year to year based on harvests etc...

Long story short. My friend told me he had heard they were cutting the wines by mixing lesser quality wines with the better quality wines and still selling them as the higher quality label

Not one to go for hear say but just wondering if anyone else had heard anything like this.

Last night I was talking with a friend of mine about the fact that some of the wines coming out of Mendoza did not seem to have the quality they had a few years ago. In fact a few of them were giving me a head ache which I had never experienced with these labels before. I know wines change from year to year based on harvests etc...

Long story short. My friend told me he had heard they were cutting the wines by mixing lesser quality wines with the better quality wines and still selling them as the higher quality label

Not one to go for hear say but just wondering if anyone else had heard anything like this.

That wouldn't surprise me. Almost nothing has the same quality it had years before. The meat was better, the customer service was better, the city was cleaner, etc.

In inflationary times sometimes leads manufacturers to cut corners until they adjust to the price increase.

If you don't get a headache from white wines then it might be a problem with tannin sensitivity.

Treat yourself to Joe's favorite Combo: Fugazzeta and Torrontes and see if the headache occurs.

Heard that some vineyards export wine in bulk to Chile where its bottled for less money and exported to the Far East..

One of the reasons I fell in love with Argentina was the wines. Oh my I was blown away by some of the cabs and mabecs espically the reservas and then the asado. Sit aroud a fire with some great argentinian companship, great meat and great wine. I know Argentina has it issues but the meat, wine and women always worked perfectly. Lately the wine has not been working so well and it could be the tannin issue and just me. Guess I will give Joe'e favorite combo a shot and see what the results are.

Large amount of Norton wines have been exported to US, sold around $20 a bottle at BevMo and Costco, that's like 260 peso per bottle at blue rate, you can get a pretty good wine for 260 peso in BsAs. But the US$20 Norton at BevMo is pretty bad, tastes like crap.
I suspect they blend all the inferior wines and export them to US, they do not have the quantity.

It's still possible to find good bottles for cheap.

Example:
http://www.catenawines.com/eng/wines/nv/nv_mb.html

I tried this Nicasia wine by Catena for the following years:
- 2008: excellent. Tried it at Le Sud (one of the best restaurants in BA) and I had no idea about the price. Was surprised to see it's selling for about 110/120 pesos in supermarkets.
- 2010: excellent too. Bought it at Jumbo (115 or 125 pesos, don't remember)
- 2011: I was a bit deceived by that one. Maybe was I in a bad day?

If you can grab a 2008 or 2010 for around 120/150 pesos, try it

Example:

- 2008: excellent. Tried it at Le Sud (one of the best restaurants in BA) and I had no idea about the price. Was surprised to see it's selling for about 110/120 pesos in supermarkets.

Example:

Are you sure you're not confusing this:
I0005357_CZ_Nicasia_MB.jpg

Or this:

228600.jpg

With this:

nv_red-blend_mb.gif

Because there is big difference in quality between these and Im not sure that the last was even availible in 2008

The wine business is growing, not only adding more boutique wineyards, but also with new areas, like provincia de San Luis, for instance.

There is a good and humble sommelier, Marcela, who is al Vinoteca 1912, on Chenault Blvd, Cañitas. You can go there, and feel free to ask her for advice on an specific target. Pizza Piola Palermo Hollywood organize wine taste events often.

Altos del Plata/Terrazas is at the Chino, super yummy, 70 pesos. I actually bring my parents back a few bottles because they love it and it's miles better and cheaper than the typical Argentine malbec that they'll find in New Jersey/USA.

Back