Argentinians and emoticons.

PhilipDT

Registered
A slightly amusing topic. :DWhat is with Argentinians and smileys? :confused: I just got a facebook message from a grown woman almost 30 years old and there were 7 smiley faces of various persuasions.

And its not just facebook. :eek:I never knew how many types of emoticons you could put in an email.:eek: And I always know that a text message is from an argentine when there are 8 or 9 smiley faces looking at me.

What gives?

Yeah, i think it also has to do with why they always shout when they chat and overuse exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jajajajjajajajajajajjajajajaja don't you think!?!?!?!?!?!!?

that last post was meant to be in all caps to make a point, but alas, baexats.org knows it's really annoying.

I agree with PhillipDT. People here tend to over-use smileys and ESPECIALLY the "jajaja." Why use so much "jajaja" with things that don't even warrant laughter?
eg.
- qué haces
- nada jaajjajajajajajajaj vos?? ajajaj

hmm can't say I have the same experience!! In fact, I'm probably more guilty of exclamation points and smilies than any <strike>Argie</strike> Argentinean that I correspond with... I can't help it, I'm just generally excited and I like to make sure people understand my mood over text, a medium that is often easy to misinterpret!

Still, point being, I've actually pondered upon the lack of emoticon use in texts from local friends, wondering if they thinking I'm crazy for adding mine. ;-)
For statistical purposes, the age range of my correspondents is from 28-37, in general, both male and female.

When I was working in an office here I witnessed quite the collection of crazy emoticons, I had no idea that emoticons like those even existed. As I was in daily communications with these people I ended up getting suckered into using some of them (many were quite endearing actually). Lots of people would make their own, or personalize emoticons after their friends, etc.

After leaving that office realized how habit-forming it had become and had to wipe them all off my computer, since using them is... well, let's just say it's not exctly the highest expression of personal communication and quite a bad habit in writing (even casual writing like messenger). As to WHY they're so emoticon happy--no clue! The jajajaja thing always got me too.

Hmm what is up with the people I talk to then?!

Just a little exercise in why emoticons are sometimes necessary to communicate the necessary, well, emotion:

I was hungry.

I was hungry. ;)

I was hungry. :mad:

I was hungry. :eek:

I was hungry. :(

Five completely different sentences!

I doooooon't understaaaaaaand why they elongate every wordddd in a FB post. Porqueeeeee, jajajaja.

Noooooooooooooooo chicooooooos -- no puede serrrrrrrrrrr! You can't be against the emoticons... son tan buennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnos. Almost as buenos as when you put 8 letters into any word. Es buenissssssimo!

In the past 6 years my english has gotten worse and worse and my style of writing is descending into that of what I consider a teenager, but is really just typical of a lot of women from here.

Totally use jajajajajaja ALL THE TIME. I blame it on one of my best friends - a guy - who incessantly uses it when we talk via skype/msn/etc So I started and now I can't stop. I often catch myself putting it in emails to friends in the US which is really bad.

I also write things like Lindaaaaaaaaaaaaaa and por diossssss, etc.

I now feel a deep sense of shame:eek::p

Back