Argie Moving To Ireland

Lautaro!

Registered
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and sorry if I make some mistakes, English isn't my first language.

As the title says, I'm an Argentine who's planning on moving to the Ireland by the end of February.
Two close friends told me about the forum/are members, and even if it might be unrelated to the main purpose of it, I thought it would be a good idea to hear your thoughts on it.

I'm not doing it for economic reasons, just because I feel stuck in life and I think a change of scenery would be useful.
I've always wanted to live abroad and this seems to be the right time to do it.

I chose Ireland mainly because its an English speaking country (my strongest skill is being bilingual unfortunately, since I don't have a degree yet) and the UK is much more expensive. I also have Spanish citizenship, so there wouldn't be any visa issues moving there.

My plan is to move to Dublin and spend a week or so getting to know the city so I can decide where in the city I'd like to live.
I expect to find a reasonably good paying job compared to Argentina, though my expectations are not that high. I have almost 5 years of experience as a Field Manager/Supervisor at my family's elevator factory which I think might come in handy. If not I wouldn't mind working for minimum wage, I'm not too picky and I like adventures.

I would be moving there for at least two years, but if I'm not able to settle and have a better quality of life than I do here or the prospect of one is not that good, I'll come back to Buenos Aires.

Is there anyone who has moved to Argentina from Ireland? What are your thoughts on Buenos Aires/Argentina compared to Dublin/Ireland?

Although direct experience helps, I'm open to feedback from everyone.

Thanks for the help!

PM me with your email address and I'll get you in touch with an Argentinian guy living and working in Ireland.

Go by the Wherever bar (Oro and Santa Fe) and talk to the owners. They both lived and worked in Ireland. Also, they have a good selection of whiskeys for you to begin your journey.

Good luck!

I advise choosing a different career path than that of the illustrious son of the Irish-Argentine Ernesto Guevara Lynch.

Dublin is quite expensive but i know of a few Argentines who have lived there in the past. They were couch surfers and i think the community there is quite active.

I would check out https://www.couchsurfing.org/ and see if you can attend any of the events or even use it to find a nice friendly place to stay that will show you around.

http://www.monster.ie/ might even help you find a job before you fly over too.

There is a member in this forum from Dublin, although he has not show in a while, Dublin2BA. Maybe write him a private message.

what happened to Dublin2BA?

I'm Irish, and travel there every few months. If you've any specific questions you think I can help with, please let me know.

There's also an Argentine member here who moved to Ireland maybe 2 years ago - I'll dig up his name in a minute and get back ...

Edit: It's larmaque. Seems he hasn't been online in some time though.

Thanks to you all for your responses.

Sorry I took me so long to answer, I had a crazy week.

Ron_Burgundy I'm sending you the PM as soon as I finish writing this.

Leslie thanks for the idea, I'll go soon enough to talk to them and try their whiskey.

ajoknoblauch don't worry, I wouldn't like to be killed like a dog in Bolivia.

ejcot I'm currently a "member" of the Couchsurfing community. I've hosted several times and I was planning on doing that as soon as I get to Dublin.
I plan on start looking for a job two months before I move there, monsters.ie is one of the websites I have saved to do so. Thanks though.

Matiasba I'll try to find him and send him a message.

Montauk_Project Thank you! Though I hope not to need it ;)

Thanks Bricky , I'll probably bomb you with questions. I'll also try to message lamarque.

I was until last week in Europe but now i'm back in Argentina, in my case what brought me there was my girlfriend, not economic reasons, i had already job when i arrived. Dublin is quite an expensive capital for European standard and really expensive if you compare it to Buenos Aires right now, just be advised that a lot of the people is having really hard time getting job right now there.
You will find a lot of Brazilians, Spanish and Venezuelans that will compete for the low pay jobs. If you are willing to get pay the minimum and put energy to get a job you will get for sure as you already have a second nationality and some control over english, just don’t put your expectations to high and be willing to share house or even room with other people to mitigate high rent cost, at least until you manage to acomodate yourself.
CS don't work very well in Ireland, at least not if you compare it to Buenos Aires, the comunity of CS in Dublin is very small, people that have extra space rarely offer it on CS as is preferable to rent it.

Back