Arnet users: anyone else having Skype problems?

nativexpat

Registered
Hello,

I have been using skype to work for the last 3 years with no problems, except for a couple bad days here and there. But for the last 2-3 months, I can't have a normal conversation over skype - the sound is broken, voices sound wobbly... I am close to aeroparque and every time a plane passes by, I get interference.

Anyone else having problems with Arnet? Should I blame solar storms or is this just another 3rd world issue?

I just called to complain, they say they will look into it. We'll see.

nativexpat said:
Anyone else having problems with Arnet? Should I blame solar storms or is this just another 3rd world issue?

I just called to complain, they say they will look into it. We'll see.

What a shitty way to put it! I guess it was not third world while it worked?
You should call to report, not to complain.

I work and play with internet, globally and permanently. Have friends all over the globe and eventually all of them have connectivity issues.

By no means am I defending Arnet or any other ISP, most stink. But you have a matching attitude.

Solutions? Expect none. This is a 3r World country after all.
Have them check the line, if MS OS download and run Ccleaner to remove temp files. Defrag disk.

[rolls eyes and sighs]...

Yes, it was still 3rd world while it worked, because I have never had the bandwidth which they advertised.

My Amsterdam boss has had 3 or 4 bad connectivity issues in 3 years. Same as my other boss in the US.

When I used the word complain, I should have said "report" because that's what I did actually... I don't like complaining and spreading bad energy - sorry if that sounded bad. English is not my 1st language. I was born and raised here, so please allow me to be frustrated at this f*cking 3rd world country which I would leave in 1 second if it weren't for the fact that my parents and relatives live here, and that I can't uproot my kids once again.

Now that's bad attitude and you brought it out. No hard feelings, though.:) I mean it.

Saludos.

Likely the phone line is at fault, not the ISP. Methinks humidity and or rains.

Does it drop out regularly -modem- , only affects Skype, or other symptoms?
Are you wired or not?

Half the diagnose is the way you put it into words. If you can describe the issue properly you provide the best clues on how to start dealing with the problem.

Thanks for your feedback... :)

Connection does not drop - only skype seems not to work. I have not used Vonage for a while, which has always been a good parameter. Yes, I am wired.

"Half the diagnose is the way you put it into words. If you can describe the issue properly you provide the best clues on how to start dealing with the problem."

I should have my brain re-wired then... I am the kind of person who leaves the hair salon or doctor's office feeling misunderstood and angry...;)

Thanks though... I will keep you posted. The Arnet people said they were going to call back.

Thanks again,

Mercedes

I quit using Skype some time ago (a year?) because of the same issues you're reporting. I got a Vonage phone instead. There are other products out there, that even plug into the computer, that probably work better than Skype. All relatively easy to carry with you.

I think almost Arnet routers are DSL and have terrible upload speeds. I had the same problem and switched to Fibertel, which seems to be much better.

I find that the rain and cold weather tends to interfere with my VOIP and Skype connections. I've also found that it improves a bit if I turn off wireless and plug the connection cable directly into the computer and directly to the modem if possible without having to go through any sort of router/splitter.

To diagnose problems you can run the 8X8 VOIP checker which will tell you if it's Arnet or Skype giving you problems.

And...Skype seems to use a nodel (could also be called noodle) connection setup that routes all your data packets through global hubs. I've found that if I delete the Skype config file, it forces Skype to recreate a new one and in doing so, recreates a new nodel routing. Seems to help.

Good luck!

I have Arnet and Skype seems to be working okay - sometimes with a slight delay, but not often at all.

I assume your Skype is up to date. I suppose it doesn't make a big difference but I've found that it usually works better when I give in and install updates. Then again it could be something with the phone/dsl lines which tend to crap out in bad weather.

I've been in the States for the last few months and use Skype all the time for conference calls. It seems to have problems more and more frequently now. We're always hanging up and dialing back in to try and get a better connection. Not sure what the issue is, but it may be more than just in Argentina.

Back