Arriving In '14 - Already With ~2 Questions . . . For Now .

rpkerston

Registered
Greetings from somewhat cool (temperature) Vancouver, Canada... where the Greenpeace ship just happens to be in town for awhile... and they're already busy making headlines...

I plan to travel to Buenos Aires next year. I intend to stay awhile: It won't be just a short tourist visit!

I THINK I've done good research, to date, so I hope my questions (below) don't seem terrifically naive... If I've somehow accidentally posted these in an improper location, please so advise. Thanks!

I've read just about every single possible guidebook about both the country and the city, with editions from Frommer to Moon, and ranging from 2008 to 2012 publication dates. In addition, I've done extensive research via the Vancouver library's Sunday edition of one BsAs newspaper, plus been lurking and reading online with this ex-pat community for a few months, now, in addition to what I think is rather considerable internet research, separately (as an example, I found a Columbia University research study for the Province of Bs As on the subject of flooding in Tigre). I have a friend who was born and raised there but who lives abroad, elsewhere; I also have local friends, in Vancouver, who are from there but only visit now; and I visited the city several times, myself... for a few days each time. I certainly don't think I'm going into this naively... but... I still have questions:

I'll almost certainly be staying in Tigre. I've been following along with the mayor's election campaign, there (and unfortunate difficulties at his residence) and I've read the city's official webpage. Still, there's one thing that I cannot find: I'm familiar with the Sarmiento House in the Delta, there, and the fact that it has what is considered a library... however, what I'm wondering is if there is any *municipal* library within Tigre, proper... does anyone know?

Alternatively to that, I'm fairly certain that there are libraries in BsAs, itself; however, what are lending privileges (and procedures for lending) like? Are they similar to what one finds in N America, generally, or does that - too - require a DNI, or something similar?

Finally: So much has been made of the older financial crisis and the continuing issues relative to the economy, there. In addition, I'm familiar with the 'blue' rate and the restrictions on the dollar; however, what I have less practical experience with is knowing if simply keeping my Canadian bank account and using a debit card is a bright idea or if there's a better one (and I'm familiar with one account my bank offers that eliminates the foreign-fee transaction charge)?

Thank you, one and all!

Paul

Bring cash. WIth your debit card you will get an exchange rate of 5.8 and with cash you can buy pesos for about 9.5 (and rising fast). Should be a no-brainer, right?

Yes, keep your debit card and canadian account. Possibly your best bet will trips to Uruguay ever few months to withdraw dollars.

I don't know about canadian dollars, but you will want USD in hand to take advantage of the blue rate. Doing anything else basically sacrifices 30 to 40% (Depending on the blue rate at that particular time) of the potential value of your money.

Come with as many USDs up to 10k that you can.

Finally: So much has been made of the older financial crisis and the continuing issues relative to the economy, there. In addition, I'm familiar with the 'blue' rate and the restrictions on the dollar; however, what I have less practical experience with is knowing if simply keeping my Canadian bank account and using a debit card is a bright idea or if there's a better one (and I'm familiar with one account my bank offers that eliminates the foreign-fee transaction charge)?

You should drop the guidebooks and start reading this forum. Guidebooks are fine when you are visiting, but if you want to live here, you'll need a different set of information. All you want to know about the current economic situation and how to get money in is covered in excruciating detail in numerous threads.

Regarding libraries, there are two main national libraries. If you just like libraries and access to books in general, these will suite you fine. However, if you need to do specific research, then you may find them lacking. If so, let us know what you are looking for and we can tell you where to find it. There are a lot of diverse backgrounds on this forum.

Welcome!

PS: Tigre is great. I've thought about relocating there from BsAs proper.

Edit: One other thought regarding libraries. Again, not sure what you are looking for, but there is nothing similar to a typical library you would find on a US or Canadian university campus. That said, you can generally find what you are looking for if it is a book (in spanish) or an article (in spanish) from a major journal. The photocopier will be your best friend.

OP, here: Very helpful replies, all. I've been reading the extensive website here. One reply clearly advocates for use of this (and other) Forum(s) and the wider ex-pat group website, and I have, I am and I intend to continue doing so... very, very much. There's a lot to read. I'm still reading...

My hope, for libraries, was to borrow books at libraries rather than to buy books at a bookstore. I've already visited El Ateneo, along av Callao in Recoleta, and I am familiar with the fact of myriad bookstores throughout the city. I was hoping for borrowing possibilities, but alas, that may not be the case. I don't wish to live as I live at home when I go camping, and similarly, I don't intend to relocate to a different country hoping to find what I'm used to back home... hence my search now, before I go. I still expect surprises but I remain hopeful to minimize those... where I can. So, if borrowing libraries are not the case, then so be it. I just needed to know. If folks think of one, though...

I was very seriously considering 'bringing cash' - Still, the obvious issue, there, is safety... storage... it becomes a very personal cache, of course...

I suppose everyone's ingenuity is brought to bear in each individual's case, but given the likelihood of nearby local people knowing 'who the foreigner is within our midst' I guess I worry that one becomes a bit of a target of having LIKELY cash on hand, at home... therein lies my concern...

Thoughts?

MANY Thx, this is VERY useful!

Paul

I suppose everyone's ingenuity is brought to bear in each individual's case, but given the likelihood of nearby local people knowing 'who the foreigner is within our midst' I guess I worry that one becomes a bit of a target of having LIKELY cash on hand, at home... therein lies my concern...

Everyone else (including the locals) is trying to hide their cash too...

Here's a link to the city's public / lending libraries.

http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/areas/cultura/dg_libro/red_bibliotecas/mapa_red_bibliotecas.php

Good luck

I'm Canadian also and spend my time in Montreal (where I teach) and BA (where I do research)...

You might like the Biblioteca Nacional in Recoleta: http://www.bn.gov.ar

Horrible architecture (reminds me of Montreal's Bibliotheque national) but the views from the upper floors are nice.

I understand that you might not want to buy books, but they are much cheaper in BA than in Canada and there are a few second-hand English bookstores (also cheaper than second-hand in Canada). You could also buy books and sell them later, probably not for what you paid, but still. It's an option.

As for money: yes, this is a problem. No-one cares about the Canadian dollar and you get a super-lousy rate when you exchange them. Using the ATM also costs a lot, not only is the rate lousy but the Argentinian and Canadian banks will take $5 each for every transaction...

Calculating prices with CDN $, I usually divide the price in pesos by 5. So, 100 pesos = $20 Canadian. Everything thus becomes insanely expensive. I've brought money in advance, I've gone to Uruguay to get US dollars, but I've also been forced to use the ATMs and I've even used my CDN credit card.

I haven't been too worried about people thinking that I have a stash of money in my apartment, at least I've never felt singled out because I am foreigner. Most people have money stashed at home. I certainly don't carry it around with me.

Good luck with everything!

the concept of LENDING libraries as you know them does not exist here. You might copy something but you will not take the book home. And if you ask them to acquire a book for you which is not currently in the stacks they will laugh at you.

Back