Ars Required For Family Of Four

lbeatty

Registered
Hi,

We are hoping to move to Argentina in January 2017. We will have an income of approx. 50,000 ARS per month for a family of four. This would need to cover:

- Rent on a three bedroom apartment in safe family friendly neighbourhood (Palmero looks good, but would welcome any other suggestions, particularly cheaper areas with good bilingual schools).
- School fees for two young children.
- Bills, foods etc.
- Entertainment. Don't need to eat in best restaurants, but would like to be able to do some theatre / cinema / music events.

Appreciate that the interest rates may make this difficult, but would 50,000 be enough to cover this?

Louise

The housing and the school are the biggest expense of your list. Very good bilingual schools can cost a lot, around 500 usd/month per child. But you have many options to choose from.

Are your children already fluent in Spanish? It might be challenging for them to be suddenly exposed to 4 hours a day of classes they cannot understand.

Anyway, I think that money would be enough if you lead a tranquil life. Museums are inexpensive, eating out can be inexpensive as well but the quality and variety of food you can get for cheap can disappoint you.

I am sure many people on this forum with a family of 4 can be more helpful. Palermo is the bigger neighborhood of all, so choose wisely. It would be great to have a real estate agent to help you with your search since the concept of "safe" varies even within the same neighborhood.

Also, are you planning to have a car or will you rely on public transport? Palermo is in the middle of the city, but maybe you'd prefer a house with a garden in the northern area. Would the commuting be an issue?

Many things to take into consideration, but we're here to help!

Is that 50K in hand or pre-tax.
If you plan on returning to your home country place the kids in schools with transportable credits and curriculum s.

Is that $50K Net or Gross? Big difference as you will likely have to pay about 35% of that in taxes and other fees. You are also moving down in 6 months, if this is a deal with your employer you should already be talking about inflation adjustment, as whatever cost assumptions you are making now, will be at least 25% more expensive by Jan 2017, potentially even more due to the outcome of elections and possible currency devaluation. You should also have 6 month increases included in any contract you sign to deal with local inflation.

There are a number of great neighborhoods to choose from, I think it really depends on what type of lifestyle you want and where you work. The closer to work the better, or at least try and being going in the opposite direction of rush hour... basically avoid having to go downtown in the morning if you can and out of downtown on the way home.

Palermo has about 5 sub-barrios (SOHO, Hollywood, Botanical...) all are a bit different. My family was in the heart of Palermo SOHO for about a month when we first arrived, it was fine, but its very trendy... more of a younger crowd, cafes, clubs, boutique shopping. Hollywood is similar, but Botanico is a bit more quiet. In my opinion the Palermo areas are a great place to visit on the weekends, but I found it to be a little too busy and loud to want to raise my family there. So we checked out other areas, and finally decided on Belgrano... the next barrio north of Palermo... I think its a great mix of a mature neighborhood, has all the shops/stores in walking distance... its much quieter and there are a lot more families and some great parks to enjoy... Also you get a bit more value in the rental market, the price per Sqm is a bit lower as its not as "trendy" as Palermo. Rents on a 3 BR(including expenses) will probably be $15K ARS on the low end, all the way up to $35K on the high... you can find a 100/120 Sqm 3 BR, or a 220 Sqm, this along with the type of building will determine the cost...

As for schools, again the range is huge. There are many private bilingual schools that cost ~$4K ARS per month, all the way up to $15K ARS for the top tier... normally the higher the grade, the higher the tuition... luckily most will give you a 30%-50% discount on the second child...

Other things to consider:

1. Upfront money - rental deposits, most apartments are not furnished and by not furnished that means no appliances either.
2. You will need a guarantor, probably your employer, in order to lease an apartment for 2 years.
3. Food - Imported stuff costs 2-3x the price you would pay in the US, and the selection is limited...
4. Clothes/Shoes - Again 2-3x the price and the quality is not nearly as good
5. Appliances/Electronics - At least double the price
6. Car - will you need one? If so you need to pay cash upfront, no leases here, and the price is about double.
7. Do you have access to USD or another source of income to supplement your local ARS salary?

In the end, $50K ARS a month (assuming Net) is very doable, but it really all depends on your lifestyle choices and tastes.. Your rent and school costs will be the main fixed expenses, so I think the best thing is to look on some of the rental sites to get an idea of what your rent will be, check out the schools you like and see what that will cost (again, assume that these costs are at least 25% higher in Jan 2017) and then figure out how much you have leftover for everything else.

One last tip... Make sure you get an Argentine CC when you arrive... almost all of the electronics can be purchased in 12 monthly installments without interest. Getting the CC (especially with a decent limit) is sometimes a challenge, but it can be done once you start work and have a monthly income.

Feel free to PM me...

Is that $50K Net or Gross? Big difference as you will likely have to pay about 35% of that in taxes and other fees. You are also moving down in 6 months,

No, jan 2017 = 1.5 yrs -- did they maybe mean 2016??

Hi,

We are hoping to move to Argentina in January 2017. We will have an income of approx. 50,000 ARS per month for a family of four. This would need to cover:

- Rent on a three bedroom apartment in safe family friendly neighbourhood (Palmero looks good, but would welcome any other suggestions, particularly cheaper areas with good bilingual schools).
- School fees for two young children.
- Bills, foods etc.
- Entertainment. Don't need to eat in best restaurants, but would like to be able to do some theatre / cinema / music events.

Appreciate that the interest rates may make this difficult, but would 50,000 be enough to cover this?

Louise

Unfortunately if you're truly not moving here for 1.5 yrs it's very difficult to tell what 50,000 pesos a month will be worth! Right now if that is net, that is fine for a family of 4.

In terms of schools, tuition can also vary widely. What ages are your children? Fees usually jump from inicial, to primaria, to secundaria.

We live in Villa Urquiza and have a much larger place than we would be able to afford in Belgrano or Palermo. The neighbourhood is connected by train to Palermo Hollywood and by subte to microcentro. Where you are working may influence heavily where you want to live as travel times can be terrible with traffic etc.

We send our son to Sir Thomas Malory in Urquiza. it's non-religious, bilingual (english begins at age 3 informally with stories, songs, basic vocabulary ie colors, weather, body, transport, animals, basic classroom etiquette ie asking for items in english or permission to use the bathroom etc), full-day is cumpulsory from age 4 so that they can start half day in english (a year earlier than a lot of other institutes). We really like the school so far, it doesn't have the profile, status, nor high prices of some of the more well-known institutes but for us it is exactly what we wanted in a primary school, close by, bilingual, and still very contained and small (only one division of max 25 students per year, so about 250 or so students in the entire school). There are two other bilingual schools in the neighbourhood as well, one of which I don't like the location (next to the train tracks with trains running by every 5-10mins) and the other told me if I wanted in I should have signed up when I was pregnant!

Many of the higher profile bilingual schools are concentrated in Belgrano. However up until Salita de 5 most are only half day, so if you have a child of that age and don't want to be travelling most of your day you may want to live nearby to whatever school you choose.

HOWEVER -

If you are moving in 2016 and not 2017 you need to contact schools now to find a placement for March 2016. Schools are notoriously bad at responding via email, so you may have to call some. If your Spanish is not fluent, consider it a method of weeding out schools! If they market themselves as bilingual they should surely have someone on staff that can respond to your phone calls in English. There are some schools that are more flexible and will try to let foreign students in midyear (though really that doesn't matter for you as if you arrive in January they will be here in time for the start of the school year in March)

Most schools are already interviewing for 2016 and some close their lists soon. There is usually a bit of shuffling around at the beginning of the school year, so places can come up at the last minute. Again, a lot are more flexible with foreigners so you may be able to get somewhere to hold a slot pending an in-person interview, but Jan/Feb most schools are closed so it may be hard to get in and have a physical tour of the grounds until shortly before the school year starts up.

The American and British embassies I believe have lists of private schools on their pages, or look on the International Baccalareate website for argentina, they maintain a list. Beyond that many are mentioned on these pages and there are a couple of Montessori or Waldorf options as well that you should be able to find with google..

I didn't see that it was Jan 2017. Who the hell knows if 50k would be alright? Probably not. Maybe. But really, who knows?

Back