Article on American Expats in Argentina on local news

gouchobob said:
I agree particularly with the 4th group retirees. You could live in Argentina a few years ago for less that in the states, I don't think that's the case today.

I suppose it depends on where in the United States. Real Estate, taxes and other expenses are still higher in New York City than in Buenos Aires.

I agree with the reply right above. It depends on where in the US you live.
Mia.

dr__dawggy said:
I suppose it depends on where in the United States. Real Estate, taxes and other expenses are still higher in New York City than in Buenos Aires.

Well I am speaking on average in the U.S. there are always exceptions, however nobody moves to or stays in NYC because of the cost of living. I would think most people on a limited income like most retirees wouldn't consider NYC. Most cities or places in the U.S. the cost of living is close to or less than B.A.

Most cities or places in the U.S. the cost of living is close to or less than B.A.

I believe that most compatible cities in the USA are way more expensive than BA.

TomAtAlki said:
Most cities or places in the U.S. the cost of living is close to or less than B.A.

I believe that most compatible cities in the USA are way more expensive than BA.

I live in Texas most of the year. The cost of living is lower here than in BA. I visit 5 or 6 other cities per year here in the USA, which are also less expensive than BA.

However, most of these cities are not comparable to BA size-wise.

To do an apples-to-apples comparison, I would probably need to compare where I live to, say, the cost of living in Rosario or Tucuman.

It's also important to remember that for those without multi-national jobs earning foreign currency, earning potential is MUCH less than in the States. So to compare living here to NYC or San Francisco, one would have to compare also earning a comparable salary.

I think when they mentioned 60k americans, also are including argentine-americans. That would be a big group of Argentines turned americans and coming back. So all these figures are always grey, not b Or w.
Cost of living:variable, we know electronics, clothing and real estate now are expensive. Electronics always had been. Real estate is expensive, but property taxes are almost a joke comparing with US. Utilities are cheap, public transportation is cheap, some food is cheap, health care is cheap, and all these sounds great if you have an income from abroad where you can make a difference. if you live on an Argentine salary, then is another story.

Back