Asuncion Paraguay, What Is It Like?

polostar88

Registered
Is it interesting, is it nice to live in for a month or two now? Anyone have experience there?

I hear it's beautiful in January

Assume you're being sarcastic. While this is great to show your "wit" to other people on this board who know you, it's totally useless not just to me but others who are curious about visiting this or other places...this kind of thing keeps happening with questions about Buenos Aires itself too.

Apologies PoloStar...here is the ny times link https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/11/23/travel/what-to-do-36-hours-in-asuncion-paraguay.html

I travel 4-5 times a year to Asuncion. Personally, I like the city v v much. My favorite thing about the city is the restaurant "Bolsi" opened 24 h a day. In my opinion, its the best restaurant ( food/service/costs) in South America especially for middle class. I have eaten there 100's of times and yet to be disappointed.

This restaurant is mentioned in the last paragraph of the news story.

I wish they could open its branch in BA and is open 24h a day. It would be a instant hit.

Check youtube video by Anthony Bourdain on Paraguay.. B)

Check youtube video by Anthony Bourdain on Paraguay.. B)

You can find a link to the CNN video where Tony goes in search of a long lost relative in Paraguay if you search google with the words: "Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown Paraguay"

Look for the 37 minute video on the dailymotion (dot com) website.

Three things in the video which got my attention (these are not exact quotes):

!.Early in the video he makes a comment about ice cream being the only reprieve form the oppressive heat.

2. One of the Paraguayan men in the video mentions that he recently had a 45 (caliber pistol) pointed at the back of his head (while being robbed) and adds that it is not an unusual event.

3. 94% of the population (as the result off a dictator's (Lopez?) decree is mestizo.

That would mean that being Caucasian would not go unnoticed...

I also read (on another website) that gringo bashing (robbery of Caucasians) is fairly common in Asunción.

In spit of all that, based on ceviche's post, Asunción might be a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

PS: Paraguay is the second poorest country in South America, with Bolivia topping the list.

I found several country homes I like very much while searching for "casa quintas en venta en Paraguay" but I don't think I could live in any of them without having to pay for a lot of security, including paying someone (who is capable of self defense) to be there whenever I leave the property....

...and that applies to areas that are considered much "safer" than Asunción.

[background=transparent]
[/background]
[background=transparent]For a single person where would you rather be ?[/background]​

[background=transparent]I`m neither talking Ferrari nor struggling to make ends meet in Buenos Aires extremes.[/background]​

[background=transparent]In related topics:[/background]​
[background=transparent]For a good idea about [/background]​
Asuncion
[background=transparent]watch this video: .... [/background]​
http://www.dailymoti...m/video/x56grpk

Cordoba
[background=transparent]proper is nothing more than one of the provencia suburbs of Bs As. Merlo, Moron, San Miguel, Quilmes. etc[/background]​
[background=transparent]You have to go outside the capital to the mountains and lakes to experience something different.[/background]​
[background=transparent]​
[/background]​

Back