ATM Find!

EvergreenGal

Registered
Our bank, Superville on Libertador 3875 in La Lucila. Yesterday it had the impossed $300 peso limit, but we were able to do 5 withdrawals at once, we did use 2 cards. Our card is a MasterCard Gold and our bank is Washington Mutual. 1% foreign transaction fee and current exchange rate of the day. Transaction fees are subject to your own bank, I am pretty sure.
Hope this helps out!

The restriction was imposed by Visa International with the agreement of Banelco & Link. It became effective on 5/28/07. At that time, I had just arrived in BA with a group of American college students. It was a nightmare since I had agreed to pay for many services in cash! Last February I complained (by email) about those measures at "la defensoria del pueblo" (an agency that protects consumers' rights). I was told they were investigating the case of the ATMs, and needed all the information you could provide. So, if you're interested in trying to stop this rip off, please, send a letter to "Defensor del Pueblo" explaining the problem & quote the answers you got when you contacted your bank and/or visa international. Link, Banelco & Visa International shouldn't be getting away with this, but they are because there are not enough complaints! My parents & my sister have accounts in Argentina and can withdraw $1000 at once without any problem, but those of us with foreign cards have a very different story... So, if you can take a few extra minutes and present a formal complaint, it will help us all. FYI, I have exchanged emails regarding this issue with Guillermo Szwarcberg at [email protected]

we found an itau ATM in palermo viejo just off ugarteche that let us withdraw $500 pesos in one transaction.

the Citibank on Florida near Catedral Subte will let me take up to 3000 pesos per transaction on both of my card, one a Visa credit, the other a MasterCard debit.

Banelco will not let me use either, and Link lets me get 3x300 pesos per day.

"BartinBA" said:
the Citibank on Florida near Catedral Subte will let me take up to 3000 pesos per transaction on both of my card, one a Visa credit, the other a MasterCard debit.

Banelco will not let me use either, and Link lets me get 3x300 pesos per day.
I've used the same bank and there was a German tourist that was behind me and was asking me to assist him as far as navigating through the menus. He could take out $3000 pesos on a single card (no idea why he would even pull out that much when I carry no more than $300 pesos or a lot less at any given time), so I think that you can do $3000 pesos on a single transaction with your ATM card.

I have just found this by Googling...it is dated 2004 but i think much still applieshttp://www.tejastango.com/money_matters.html

...another link i found on the citibank site:https://www.argentina.citibank.com/laargl/spanish/accounts/checking/pagelect.htm

"Fishface" said:
I got the AR$300 limit in the past couple of days - was AR$1500 before.
This was on a DD card not credit card.
I took out AR$300 6 times then it hit its limit.
Then I got a call from HSBC fraud prevention.
They explained that the AR$300 limit was fraud prevention and there was a lot of fraud in Brazil - hmmn
The guy in the bank said Banelco was having discusions and it would be resolved next month.
Who knows - its a f***ing mystery.
It sounds like some petty minded marketing bint with a bright idea to scrape pennies.
Fishface, any back to back transactions 6x in a row, especially within an hour period would raise flags for any bank regardless of the amount (think of the kidnappings to withdraw until the withdraw limit is maxed out in Belgrano a month or so ago). Why are you taking out that much anyways? I haven't made a $300 ARS withdraw since Easter. If you need to pay rent, the best way is to do a bank transfer to your lanlord's bank account here, and each time you do a withdraw, it costs $3.00 USD for a non-(your bank's name here) fee plus a foreign fee of another $1.50 USD. That's nearly a $5 USD loss per transaction, miltiplied by 6, that's $30 USD loss!!! It's cheaper to do a direct transfer for a 1 time fee instead of a multiple transaction fee for each $300 ARS withdraw. You can also do a 1x charge if you're in a hotel and they have a CC terminal (depending on how shady the hotel/lanlord/apt. manager/staff is, sometimes it's better to do a bank transfer). If you have a bank account in Argentina, some banks like Citibank will allow you to have your bank account in US Dollars, the service charge is $14 ARS per month, and no transaction fee if you're using one of their ATMs. International banks like Citibank and HSBC are great, the lines for ATM are shorter (sometimes none) than say Banco Provincia, Banelco, or any of the local banks, where lines could sometimes wrap around the block, plus with banks like Citibank, you get a 10% discount on your purchases at certain stores.

Mike

Mike 1
When you did your $3000 peso transaction at Citi were you using a Citi card or some other card. Thanks

Back