ATM withdraw limits

I have heard that the most popular sport in Argentina is avoiding paying taxes. I have been to some hotels and business in Argentina that won't accept credit cards or that there is a surcharge. I have concidered taking a large amout of cash into the country to avoid paying the ATM fee, I feel that there is a danger in that. I also understand that I cannot take more then $10,00 dollars into the country. Any comments?
Carl

"donquixote" said:
I have heard that the most popular sport in Argentina is avoiding paying taxes. I have been to some hotels and business in Argentina that won't accept credit cards or that there is a surcharge. I have concidered taking a large amout of cash into the country to avoid paying the ATM fee, I feel that there is a danger in that. I also understand that I cannot take more then $10,00 dollars into the country. Any comments?
Carl
You can if you can justify it. You will need to explain it how you get it and what you do with it.
I don´t know how long you want to stay but 10.000 dollars would get me around 4 to 5 months

"donquixote" said:
Carl
Take American exprex travellers cheques with you. No risk

"Granadaiscool" said:
You cant spend more then 300 peso with your CC?
Nope. It might be because it is a brand-spankin' new card but the bank swears its good to go so this absurd limit is baffling.

I had no problems using my Citibank card - think I took out 2000 pesos with no problem. My friends couldn't take out more that 300 pesos at a time with their bank cards (all non-citi). I did find it strange that I got charged such a fee even though I took money out at a Citibank location.

Back