ATMs at Ezeiza

Utopos

Registered
Hola! I haven't been back to BsAs for a few years. When I last entered, I used an ATM near the exit at Ezeiza to get pesos with my Schwab debit card. Is that still there (more or less near Tienda León)? It didn't feel too safe but I was able to get some cash quickly. Is there someplace better to get pesos at Ezeiza?

Also, the exchange rate is now significantly higher. Will ATMs in Provincia give $5k-$10k pesos per transaction, and at the official rate?

íGracias!

There are multiple ATM's when you walk out of customs on the left. And I think there is a HSBC ATM near Taxi Ezeiza on the left. I'm not sure what the maximum limits are these days - it keeps changing. Someone here should have some knowledge on fees and maximum withdrawal.

It might be better to withdraw a small amount from an ATM in Ezeiza and then once you arrive at your home in the provincia go to the local bank for a larger sum.

The airport terminal may not be as you remember it, so expect to look around for an ATM and potential thieves who want to relieve you of your cash.

You will know the answer to the limit question once make your first transaction here.

I'd expect a 4000-peso limit per transaction, that's what I get with my foreign debit card. I understand the ATMs can handle a maximum of 40 banknotes, and if it spits out 100-peso banknotes, that's the 4000 limit. You might be able to make multiple transactions. As far as fees are concerned, if the ATM says "Banelco" (e.g. HSBC, ICBC, Santander..) you get to pay 478 pesos in fees, I believe. I try not to go to Banelco ATMs. If the ATM says "Link" (e.g. Banco Ciudad), you get to pay a more moderate 265 pesos. The fee is per transaction and seems to vary with the Dollar exchange rate. It's fairly common for the ATM to impose a lower withdrawal limit and charge the same fee, I don't know if this is a trick the banks or ATM cartel play. You can google ATM Ezeiza to find them, I didn't see a map on the Ezeiza website. I didn't feel the airport was dangerous, but of course it makes sense to be careful. Still, with the small amounts you can withdraw, I'd suggest taking the maximum every time, you tend to run out of cash quickly.

PS: long time lurker, first time poster... hi everyone.

Hola! I haven't been back to BsAs for a few years. When I last entered, I used an ATM near the exit at Ezeiza to get pesos with my Schwab debit card. Is that still there (more or less near Tienda León)? It didn't feel too safe but I was able to get some cash quickly. Is there someplace better to get pesos at Ezeiza?

Also, the exchange rate is now significantly higher. Will ATMs in Provincia give $5k-$10k pesos per transaction, and at the official rate?

íGracias!
You can use BANELCO and LINK ATM's when utilizing the Schwab debit card. At Ezeiza there is an HSBC ATM (Banelco network) and a Banco Nacion ATM (Link network). I have yet to utilize either one so I cannot tell you the locations or whether it's safe or not.

ATM's in the province of BA operate under the same local banking regulations as they do in CABA.
One can check what is the daily VISA exchange rate from US dollars to ARG pesos....
https://usa.visa.com/support/consumer/travel-support/exchange-rate-calculator.html

I'd expect a 4000-peso limit per transaction, that's what I get with my foreign debit card. I understand the ATMs can handle a maximum of 40 banknotes, and if it spits out 100-peso banknotes, that's the 4000 limit. You might be able to make multiple transactions. As far as fees are concerned, if the ATM says "Banelco" (e.g. HSBC, ICBC, Santander..) you get to pay 478 pesos in fees, I believe. I try not to go to Banelco ATMs. If the ATM says "Link" (e.g. Banco Ciudad), you get to pay a more moderate 265 pesos. The fee is per transaction and seems to vary with the Dollar exchange rate. It's fairly common for the ATM to impose a lower withdrawal limit and charge the same fee, I don't know if this is a trick the banks or ATM cartel play. You can google ATM Ezeiza to find them, I didn't see a map on the Ezeiza website. I didn't feel the airport was dangerous, but of course it makes sense to be careful. Still, with the small amounts you can withdraw, I'd suggest taking the maximum every time, you tend to run out of cash quickly.

PS: long time lurker, first time poster... hi everyone.
Hi FrankPintor....welcome to BAexpats!

My update on the use of local ATM's:
I have been able to withdraw cash at many ATMs throughout CABA from both networks...the BANELCO (AB logo) and LINK (logo) using my Schwab debit card.

BANELCO network.....ATM withdrawals at Banco Santander Rio, HSBC, Galicia, BBVA and ICBC. LINK network.....Banco Nacion (I have yet to utilize) and Banco Ciudad which I prefer to the other 5 banks listed above. The LINK network allows me to make 3 ATM withdrawals (each for the maximum amount allowed) within a 24-hr period. Whereas the banks affiliated with BANELCO only let me make 2 withdrawals (each for the maximum amount allowed) per day within a 24-hr period.

The maximum daily limit per each ATM withdrawal has been increased periodically since 2016 per local banking regulations. I believe that currently it's $8000 pesos. Yesterday I withdrew $7000 pesos (which is all I required) at Banco Galicia. The charge was $428 pesos. It remains the same regardless of the amount one selects to withdraw.

Occassionally an ATM will contain less pesos than the amount I am requesting so the system will deny the entire transaction. I can opt to repeat the transaction at another ATM in the same branch or go to a different bank nearby. I have found that on weekends and during banking holidays the LINK ATM's are empty. This seems to occur much less frequently when utilizing the BANELCO network.

Many thanks to everyone for the information. It is most helpful!

Back