Attempted Break-In In My Building

DontMindMe

Registered
Yesterday my husband was heading out and saw that a locksmith was fixing the door of the apartment closest to the front door of our building. He talked to someone and apparently the day before, a la tarde (we don't know exactly when), someone came in through the front door because it wasn't closed properly and attempted to break into the very first unit.

But they couldn't! That's right, they didn't get in! Other than a little damage to the door, the attempted break-in was a complete failure. So I guess the thief tried to pick the lock and wasn't able to, so then gave up and left. We don't know if the woman who lives there was home when it happened. I've always felt that older buildings have an advantage when it comes to safety. In our building, for example, each apartment's door is huge and made of solid metal, with two heavy duty locks. It's like living in a fortress. Whereas in many modern buildings, the doors are very light and flimsy.

We live in a very nondescript building in Almagro, the kind with just planta baja and first floor. I've never counted, but I think there are around 10 apartments total. I've always felt safe here because our unit is a loooooong hallway away from the front door, and up a flight of stairs. It's the equivalent of walking half a city block and then going upstairs. Plus, Almagro is not exactly a destination for entraderas in the way that wealthy neighborhoods are. I joked to my husband that the person who tries to rob us will only do it if they want a real challenge. But of course, break-ins happen everywhere and it's certainly unnerving to know that the second someone screwed up and didn't close the front door properly, someone took advantage. That or they got their hands on a copy of the key to the front door. I don't like thinking about that possibility. :(

Sure, but they aren t legal here. For buying those at Wallmart you need to go to the US.

However, for a proper door i ment a Pentágono one:
http://mobile.dudamobile.com/site/puertaspentagono?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pentagono-oficial.com.ar%2Fshop%2Findex.asp#2936

No guns for me, thanks. When we kids were tiny, my dad came home from a business trip in the middle of the night, earlier than planned. He called the house, but my mom slept through it. He came in and she almost shot him with one of his shotguns because she thought he was an intruder. After that, they decided no more guns for protection. They were shotguns for dove hunting, and kept in the closet completely dismantled from then on.

It would seem we already have proper doors, since the thief couldn't get in. It just sucks, that's all. And frankly, if the person did have a copy of the key, their next attempt may be just waiting in the hallway until someone comes in, and then intimidating the person and breaking into their place.

Do they really need a key to get into the building? I have noticed a lot of people coming and going in my building let others in and out as a matter of course. No one really seems to pay attention if they actually live it or not.
When friends come over to visit they are generally in before I can get downstairs to let them in!

Get a proper door, a 38 and sleep like a baby.

Except that if someone with a gun breaks into your apartment and you shoot them you get arrested, not the thief. Unless they shoot you first, then you can legally defend yourself and shoot them back if you're still alive.

Except that if someone with a gun breaks into your apartment and you shoot them you get arrested, not the thief. Unless they shoot you first, then you can legally defend yourself and shoot them back if you're still alive.
That's why you need a spare gun you buy on the street - then you can put it in the intruder's cold hand and fire off one to save you from spending your final years Locked Up Overseas.

I favour electrified fencing. There are rules and responsibilities with this type of security system ( positioning of and signage ). The weak point would still be the front door, but I'd sleep better at night with the a complete perimeter around my terraza.
If a thief gets hurt/dies as a result of a 8000v jolt, then the police shouldn't have a case if the fence is properly and legally installed, and with warning signs.

Back