Attempted Robbery on the subte

arlean

Registered
I'm going to confess something here that will make me look pretty stupid to the experienced ex-pat community (which by now should be me!!) but in hope it will help a newcomer. I like Buenos Aires. I am not afraid to live here, but it does take some getting used to for some of us.

Two years ago, in a packed subway, my wallet was stolen out of my purse. I m sure it was at least a woman and man working together. Perhaps three of them. I was holding the horizontal bar overhead and a sweet (so I thought) woman made room for me and indicated I should hold the verticle bar she was holding. Next morning I discovered my wallet gone. My companion had noticed a man next to me with a winter coat over his arm (in summer) and later decided he had used the coat to shield from view that he was getting access into my purse.

There was no serious money in the wallet, I know better, but sadly my passport was in the wallet, so it was an expensive loss.Then a couple months ago I reaized the coat thing was being tried without the distracting accomplice. I jerked away from the man and he apologized. So I give myself an A for that test.

I just hate to be mean to people if I am not sure they are doing wrong. Yesterday I was standing again, holding the verticle bar on the subway when a man got on and insisted on standing between me and the bar. Unusual because the men are usually very polite. I INSISTED that holding the bar was necessary for me. At that point a woman behind me put her arm tightly around me and pushed me toward the bar (in a sweet way) as if insisting I have access to the bar. At that moment the man sitting noticed me and got up to give me his seat. I had to pull away from the woman to sit down.

That was the tip-off. Something about THAT sure wasn't right. I checked my purse and sure enough it was unzipped. I purposely have a purse not easy to get into. There is a zipper, then a flap closes over the top and snaps. So she had to unsnap the flap (not hard) unzip the purse (harder with the flap in the way). I checked my purse as soon as I sat down. She looked as if she was holding something in her hand. Sure enough the purse was completely unzipped--but nothing was missing. I had a coin purse in it which I do keep folded bills as well, but it was still there. Incidently my serious money was not in my purse. I have learned a few things in Argentina. I think the reason she didn't want to let go of me was she was just too close to success, or so she thought.

So for newcomers, you just have to insist they not touch you, no matter how sweet you think they are being or what the situation. Yes I know that's basic. But they are so slick.

The coat trick has been tried on me as well, same thing, it was January and he had a winter coat draped over his arm. I stuck out like a sore thumb because I was moving apartments so I had a little suitcase with me along with my purse, so I'm not really surprised that someone tried to rob me. I always keep my hand clenched over the zipper of my purse when on the subte, so when he "fell" over onto me and his coat fell over my bag and he went for the zipper,he just got my hand. He apologized awkwardly and got off at the next stop.

Always keep your hand on the opening to your bag, this stuff can happen to anyone, not matter how long you have been here.

Thanks for sharing. It has not happened to me here, but three times in Paris in the space of 3 months. :eek:

I had my iPhone stolen in Retiro station on a Saturday afternoon as I was waiting for the subte to arrive. This was in early June, within the first two weeks of my arrival here.

Now, I have to admit to my own stupidity as I should have taken better precautions.

I usually carry a book-bag (cross-body) and the bag I had then had pockets with zippers in the front. The iPhone was in one of these pockets (instead of way inside the bag) when a woman came up to me to ask me for directions. This was clearly odd-- though I didn't think of it then-- but why would a local be asking me for directions, especially in the subte? It's not like it is a complicated system.

Keep in mind that Retiro is not a busy station at 2 pm on a Saturday afternoon. There were maybe 10 other people on the platform. And so, the woman asked me for directions to the D line and was soon standing very close to me. When I said I told her to get off at Diagnol Norte (again!!! why wouldn't she know how to get to the D line????), she thanked me and walked away rather quickly.

And that was the end of my iPhone.

I'm sorry about that, but as you said, you are now aware and you know how they "work".
Usually they are three. Usually when buses/subtes are crowded. Usually when we are distracted. And sadly, usually when we put our money in easy to reach places.
So my humble advice is: pay attention.
I hope it doesn't happen to you anymore.

There are some places in which you must be careful and right now, I regret to say that no where is safe, even if you are leaving the movies at 9:00PM. Beware of Florida, especially lavalle and florida. Be careful when you step out of cabs at the front of burger king at Av. Corrientes and Florida. There are kids opening the cab doors and they are scooping out everything you are carrying with you. Pay the cab while you are INSIDE the cab and try to always step out some steps before where you should really step. Do not be predictable. Its bad to say this since we are also foreigners, but there are lots of peruvians and mexicans stealing all over. I was robbed by peruvians at Florida, twice, man and woman. They bump you and when do do realize, your bag/backpack is open and valuables gone. They are also at the San Telmo fair and at Once and they are normally referred to as Punguistas. Needless to mention the police does nothing. I have learnt alot since I was robbed since I had to travel to get a new ID card, they stole my wallet with my ID card, money and other things with sentimental value and also my mobile phone. If you are carrying a backpack, put it in front of you where your hand can be over it, never leave wallets in your jeans pockets or your bag hanging loosely at the side when you are in a bus or subte. Sad but Buenos Aires is not what it used to be.

Pickpockets are nothing new and it's nothing special to here. In Spain pickpocketing has gotten notoriously bad, Paris has also always been pretty bad, and London too. My cousin who lives in Barcelona and travels on the metro a lot has gotten to know the faces that pickpocket and has even alerted other passengers as they're getting robbed. You have to watch everyone until you get familiar with the usual suspects. :p

In any case, it's hard to be on guard all the time. Just yesterday we were in the supermarket and I left my coat hanging on the shopping cart as I was looking at products on the shelf. When I turned around I realized what I had done. My coat was still there, and I didn't really have anything in the pockets to lose, but one little despiste and someone could have swiped it. That's just the way it is here.

I stopped a man from robbing my friend in the subte, same trick with the jacket over his arm, he almost had the wallet out of my friends pocket when i saw it standing behind the robber, i graped him hard from behind while shouting so everyone in the train looked at him.
I havent seen anyone so embarrassed even for a robber.. Haha and then I told him to fuck off..

yep, shopping trolley are a lot of people's weak spots. Twice in Coto, I've told older women (off smelling strawberries or whatever) that leaving their handbags in the kiddy seat of their trolley isn't smart. Got thanked both times.

as you say, it's impossible to keep a high guard ALL the time, it's exhausting and stressful.

Back