Attention Expats: Peanut Butter Alert!

steveinbsas

Registered
I was in the Recoleta Carrefour Express this morning on Santa Fe (1900).

They have peanut butter (Peter Pan and Skippy).

I didn't buy it all (this time).

markbsas

Registered
FYI, make sure that you check the expiration date on the peanut butter. I got so excited the other day because I found Peter Pan crunchy peanut butter at Carrefour! Problem... expiration date on some of it had passed and other jars was Jan 1, 2010. Boo hiss.

fred mertz

Registered
Although I have a stash of 6 40oz. jars of Jif extra crunchy, that I buy in EEUU, I use Dame Mani - crocante (red cover) everyday. I´m saving the Jif to use if and when the local stuff is no longer available. Dame Mani, which I think is quite good can be bought at Casa China in Chinatown. A 510 gr jar costs $15.00 (pesos). They sell several other brands,too.
I recently discovered Campbell tomato juice in large cans and bottles in Disco and Carrefour.

iStar

Registered
steveinbsas said:
I was in the Recoleta Carrefour Express this morning on Santa Fe (1900).

They have peanut butter (Peter Pan and Skippy).

I didn't buy it all (this time).

That's not peanut butter. It's oil, salt and peanuts.

Real peanut butter is 100% peanuts nothing else.

arty

Registered
iStar said:

THIS!

I was going to buy some local peanut butter I found until I read the ingredients list.

I make anyone who visits me bring a big jar of organic peanut butter and real maple syrup.

ElQueso

Registered
iStar said:

I'd call that peanut paste...which is abundant here in the international section usually.

markbsas

Registered
iStar said:

Absolutely agree... now if you can you tell me somewhere here that has a machine that grinds up organic peanuts into peanut butter you will be my new best friend!

iStar

Registered
arty said:
THIS!

I was going to buy some local peanut butter I found until I read the ingredients list.

I make anyone who visits me bring a big jar of organic peanut butter and real maple syrup.

Arty,

I'm currently in Toronto for the holidays. If you like I can pick up both for you.

No problem ;)

iStar

Registered
markbsas said:
Absolutely agree... now if you can you tell me somewhere here that has a machine that grinds up organic peanuts into peanut butter you will be my new best friend!

I can't do that but I can bring you some back from Toronto. I'm here just for the holidays. Let me know. I have Twizzlers for Emily and still plenty of room for peanut butter ;)