Attention Old People :> 60 Yo

joeschmoe1920

Registered
In Brazil, seniors are legally allowed to cut to the front of the line. http://www.wsj.com/articles/in-brazil-its-fine-for-seniors-to-cut-the-line-1456276423

Seniors, pregnant women.......anyone else?
You queue up for half an hour in Coto (yes, that shit hole), you've got about 10 items and a barely pregnant woman appears parting all before her like Moses, with a trolley chocked to the brim.
Do you graciously stand aside? Especially when you consider that she's probably stuffed a cushion down her trousers anyway.

I am frequent visitor to and a big booster of Brazil .Camberiu says I have romanticized version of the country.
However,there is one thing there that could change and that is the early retirement policy of and hefty payments for "aposentados" "retirees"
Given the precarious financial state of its economy,Brazil might be forced to enact these changes fairly soon.
Nonetheless,their Justice System is working 24/7 detaining all kinds of officials suspected of "corrupcao"
The way they are going after Oderbrecht,I expect to see some U.S official connected with the bid for the updating of the Port of Miami to be arranged any day now
At 74 I will continue to visit Brazil and enjoy these "preferencias" given to all "velhos"-oldsters regadless of nationality,for the duration.

Oh yes, and you also have a special waitlist at restaurants if ANYONE in your party is 60 or older. Also, this might actually come in handy for the BA expat crowd: if you are traveling with a Brazilian airline (TAM, Gol, etc.) they will let you cut to the front of the line at Ezeiza or Aeroparque for check-in if just one of you is 60+. You just need to ask.

Seniors, pregnant women.......anyone else?
You queue up for half an hour in Coto (yes, that shit hole), you've got about 10 items and a barely pregnant woman appears parting all before her like Moses, with a trolley chocked to the brim.
Do you graciously stand aside? Especially when you consider that she's probably stuffed a cushion down her trousers anyway.

This is a thing I actually like about this country. They respect children and parents.
It's nice when people know not to abuse it (we have a few children, and my wife would normally refuse to take the pregnant line).
But in principle, I for one think it's great.

PS Never mind mothers, it happened more than once that I got on a bus with my <3yo, and people would insist on getting up. Naturally I refused - for me, it was a great teaching moment for my son that you don't have to accept every favor extended to you. But I do think it was beautiful.

Never understood why pregnant women behave as if they are doing a world a favor by by being pregnant. Some of them have so much attitude especially at airports and in aeroplanes.

Attitude, and display thereof, is not restricted to a particular demographic.

We had a week where our kids all got some virus, with fever north of 38, and kept us up at night. They also, unfortunately, kept up the neighbors.

How neighbors react is a truly instructional moment.

One called us at 3am, screaming that she'd be calling the cops. Again, being that this happened for 2 or 3 (consecutive) days over about 2 years, one would tend to call this an attitude.

The other neighbor, the next day, did call the police. It turns out that he thought the screaming was coming not from us, but from another, truly problematic neighbor - a whole other story. I happened to come downstairs just as the police arrived. We bumped into each other downstairs, he explained that he gets up at 6 am every morning, I explained that this is a one-time thing because kids are very sick. Apologies and kind words all around. Next day he stopped over at our apartment with lollipops for each kid. Nice person.

Obviously parents should do their best to keep their kids well behaved. That said, kids who never misbehave are not normal kids, and a very little bit of tolerance is in order. It's an overused cliche, but true - you were a kid once.
And both sides of the coin are especially true in high-pressure settings, say planes.

old.jpg

old2.jpg

That is how we do it.
Only don`t remember .... was it last year or the year before !

I'm still laughing too hard to decide which is the better image: hoardes of old folks leaping to the front of every queue, or a young woman stuffing a cushion down her trousers in order to skip straight to the cashier with her load of groceries for all of 2016.

I think the pregnant poseur wins, especially if she then had to search for correct change and then fill out the Envios a Domicilio form (after she located a pen in her immense bag, that is --).

I'm still laughing too hard to decide which is the better image: hoardes of old folks leaping to the front of every queue, or a young woman stuffing a cushion down her trousers in order to skip straight to the cashier with her load of groceries for all of 2016.

I think the pregnant poseur wins, especially if she then had to search for correct change and then fill out the Envios a Domicilio form (after she located a pen in her immense bag, that is --).
You didn't mention the part where, after waiting till every item in her overloaded cart is checked through and bagged, when the cajera says, "1,875 pesos," only then does she start rummaging through Immense Bag searching for her wallet - thus adding three to five additional minutes to the transaction and providing still greater pleasure for all the non-pregnant pobre diablos in line behind her.

Back