Attorney versus Self Application

Muchi

Registered
Hi All, thank you all for this informative platform. I am based in South Africa and I would like to apply for a Rentista visa. I reached out to some attorneys based out of BA and they quoted me US$4 500 - sounds atrocious and excessive!

The Argentine Consulate in Johannesburg said I could apply with them directly without using legal representation.

To those who can comment, is it wise to apply for the Rentista visa directly at the Consulate or an attorney will expedite the process and kind of guarantee a good outcome???

As long as you meet all the requirements and there is nothing unusual about your particular case, the consulate should be fine.

In the unlikely event that there is an issue, you can always get an attorney later.

The application processes is designed to be doable yourself.

Some may claim that they can expedite the process etc, though in my experience this is rarely the case.

In fact, the people i've known who have applied individually have often got results faster than those using lawyers to 'assist' them.

Those with vested interests, or different experiences, may of course disagree.

Good Luck, and please update us in case your experiences help others!

;=)

Last edited:
As long as you meet all the requirements and their is nothing unusual about your particular case, the consulate should be fine.

In the unlikely event that there is an issue, you can always get an attorney later.

Some may claim that they can expedite the process etc, though in my experience this is rarely the case.

In fact, the people i've known who have applied individually have often got results faster than those using lawyers to 'assist' them.

Those with vested interests, or different experiences, may of course disagree.

Good Luck, and please update us in case your experiences help others!

;=)
Thank you for your honest opinion. I really appreciate. Would you have an idea how long it takes for the rentista to come out? I will definitely chronicle my journey for the sake of others.

Thank you for your honest opinion. I really appreciate. Would you have an idea how long it takes for the rentista to come out? I will definitely chronicle my journey for the sake of others.

That I really couldn't say. What did they say at the consulate? Whatever they say, double it, then double it again. If it happens before, count yourself lucky.

The bureaucracy here can be kafkaesque, but it eventually works in most cases.

We applied for a rentista visa through the Argentine consulate in Atlanta, in USA, and had absolutely no problems. If I remember correctly, it took a couple of months, but when we got here, we had very little to do, except go and get our pictures taken for our DNI; the consulate had taken care of everything. You will have to get together all the documents/documentation required and have them translated and in some cases apostilled. They allowed me to do the translations myself, which is not the case if you do everything from inside Argentina.

To be clear, we went through the process in April and May of 2016, so things could have changed since then, in terms of the translations and all that. It was a very positive experience working with the Argentine consulate in our city.

We applied for a rentista visa through the Argentine consulate in Atlanta, in USA, and had absolutely no problems. If I remember correctly, it took a couple of months, but when we got here, we had very little to do, except go and get our pictures taken for our DNI; the consulate had taken care of everything. You will have to get together all the documents/documentation required and have them translated and in some cases apostilled. They allowed me to do the translations myself, which is not the case if you do everything from inside Argentina.[/QUOT
We applied for a rentista visa through the Argentine consulate in Atlanta, in USA, and had absolutely no problems. If I remember correctly, it took a couple of months, but when we got here, we had very little to do, except go and get our pictures taken for our DNI; the consulate had taken care of everything. You will have to get together all the documents/documentation required and have them translated and in some cases apostilled. They allowed me to do the translations myself, which is not the case if you do everything from inside Argentina.

Thank you! That’s encouraging, appreciated!

And now, if Ii understand correctly, it is necessary to submit all of he paperwork on line?

What could a lawyer do for anyone they couldn't do for themself?

Well, if a lawyer made it look as "easy" as it really is, who would pay their exorbitant fees?

That’s a very good angle to it. They make everything so cryptic so that they can justify their fees I guess! Thank you gentlemen

Back