Aussie Malbecs?

nlaruccia

Registered
Can anyone recommend a good malbec or cabernet to bring from Australia as a gift for an Argentine friend?

Can anyone recommend a good malbec or cabernet to bring from Australia as a gift for an Argentine friend?

Well, if you pass through California en route...http://www.redrockwinery.com/our-wines/reserve-malbec/index.html

Argentina has good Malbecs. Why not bring something that does not exist in AR ....like a good Chardonnay. Or maybe a real Viognier [that's just a far fetched dream]

Argentina has good Malbecs. Why not bring something that does not exist in AR ....like a good Chardonnay. Or maybe a real Viognier [that's just a far fetched dream]

"Good Chardonnay" sounds like an oxymoron.

"Good Chardonnay" sounds like an oxymoron.
Stop that..Some of the finer Chards are right outside your backdoor. [the Cali door that is....] Now Frenchie is going to chime in and bury me with some of the spectacular French Viogniers.

Stop that..Some of the finer Chards are right outside your backdoor. [the Cali door that is....] Now Frenchie is going to chime in and bury me with some of the spectacular French Viogniers.

Personally, I just don't care for Chardonnay, especially when there's Torrontés available. I do like Viognier, but I like Albariño (particularly Bouza's from Montevideo) almost as much as a good Torrontés.

The Penfolds Kalimna Shiraz bin 28 is a great bottle of something for a gift, as everyone seems to love it. It is highly regarded.
Even as a wine moron, I have fooled people in the past into thinking that I do have some taste.
Is about $30 a bottle though.

Whatever you do, do not buy the Yellowtail Malbec, it is very poor. We had a tasting of malbecs from around the world last year and everyhting apart from the Argentine malbecs was very second rate.
Stick to the cabernet sauvignon or maybe even a shiraz which is arguably the australian red varietal.

I heard that Cullins Malbecs are really good. $30 a bottle is reasonable.

Back