Autoconvocados (eg Occupy Wall Street)

JoeBlow

Registered
Does anyone know of a phrase to describe Occupy Wall Street type-groups that are "self-organizing". I'm looking for the term for groups of protestors who are not called together by a political party, but rather who independently organize. The word in Spanish I'm trying to translate is "autoconvocados".

Thank you.

'Smart mob' is an accepted term for groups such as the Occupy Wall Street protesters.

I believe the English word you are looking for is "grassroots".

From Wikipedia:
"A grassroots movement (often referenced in the context of a political movement) is one driven by the politics of a community. The term implies that the creation of the movement and the group supporting it are natural and spontaneous, highlighting the differences between this and a movement that is orchestrated by traditional power structures. Grassroots movements are often at the local level, as many volunteers in the community give their time to support the local party, which can lead to helping the national party. For instance, a grassroots movement can lead to significant voter registration for a political party, which in turn helps the state and national parties."

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.
If anybody has anything else, it'd still be greatly appreciated...

If you're leaning towards the local use of "autoconvocados", I think they're better descrived as a (grassroots) movement.
In my self proclaimed ignorance, I perceive OWS as a more defined form of activism. If not for all, certainly for some of its followers.

JoeBlow said:
Does anyone know of a phrase to describe Occupy Wall Street type-groups that are "self-organizing". I'm looking for the term for groups of protestors who are not called together by a political party, but rather who independently organize. The word in Spanish I'm trying to translate is "autoconvocados".

Thank you.

I hope you aren't naive enough to think that Occupy Wall Street "self-organizes" and isn't affiliated with any party.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MilHojas Articles 0
A Expat Life 209
Back