Automobile parts

jeff1234

Registered
Given the problems that Argentina is having with imports, are there brands/manufacturers that are less likely to have a problem supplying replacement parts within Argentina in the next couple of years?

To give an example of the import restrictions stupidity and results....:
Im just rebuilding an offroad enduro bike.....bought a lot top top items in
Germany, like competition racing carburator, enduro tank, professional levers and brake reservoirs, covers, exaust and and and......
Now I checked the market for my old and used parts........outcome is, Im gonna cash more or less the same for my dirty old n used dinosaur parts as I have payed for new, top notch professional parts in Europe!
Sick sick!!!!!!

If you stick to popular cars that are made here in Argentina and sell well, you should be okay. I would suggest not to buy an import even if it's supposedly the same make/model... European and Brazilian cars are almost always a little different. (I say this since recently my mother in law took her Megane in to get the windshield wiper motor fixed, and since her car was made in Turkey they don't have the parts - the mechanic rigged something up with another motor.) :p They make better cars elsewhere, but the fight to find parts may not be worth it.

Your safest bet is a model currently built in Argentina. Next best would be a Mercosur model from a company with manufacture here. Third choice - any car built in Mercosur. Beyond that, it's a crap shoot. There are BMWs sitting in garages around town for months waiting for imported parts.

That said, I hear stories of problems even for national models. Remember that the Ford plant closed down for a few weeks because of problems imported electronic parts that aren't made here.

I have a Honda Civic, which is in my second category above - assembled in Brazil by a company that also manufactures here (but only the City model, in the case of Honda). I've been waiting 2 months for a replacement key that the dealer lost when I had the car in for service in January....

By far the cheapest and most widely available parts are for autos that are on the low end from each brand and made in Brazil (i.e. VW Gol, Renault Clio, Fiat Siena, etc).

You will have trouble with imported cars from non-mercosur countries.

Totally agree with these posts. Anything imported will have problems. For that matter, avoid imported washing machines and anything else you can. I went with an expensive Ariston washing machine and I couldn't get a simple part to get it fixed. The part was held up in customs for 3 months!!

Just go with the cheaper local brands. Some with other household stuff.

Back