AVE ($200) expensive than tourist visa ($150)

Neoperm

Registered
I have been exploring options to move to Argentina.

I do have decent passive income, and I considered applying for digital nomad visa (I have read all related posts here and I understand that it’s not all that useful).

Well, I am not from a visa exempt country. So I can’t apply for digital nomad visa. The Argentina consulate confirmed the same. The digital nomad visa is only for those from the visa exempt countries.

Thankfully, I do have USA B1/B2 visa on my passport. So, I don’t need a visa to travel to Argentina. However, I do need to apply for Electronic Travel Authorization (AVE) online:

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/ave/index.htm

It turns out that the fee for AVE is US $200. The tourist visa fee is $150.

The only benefit of AVE, apparently, is to save time-- as it doesn’t require visiting the consulate.

Explanation in English: http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/ave/pdf/procedimiento_eeuu-20.pdf

Regarding AVE, if you have questions you can address them to this email: [email protected].

I was reading through the visa/visa exempt categories a while ago so my memory could be hazy. Please check for yourself before acting on anything I say. I think visa exempt nationals and those like yourself who are treated as visa exempt by virtue of their USA visa will automatically receive permission to stay 90 days as a tourist with the option of renewing for a second 90 day period. People who require a visa may receive permission to stay for 30, 60 or 90 days depending upon their nationality: you will know which category your nationality comes under. I don't recall seeing any option to renew in the visa required categories. So - and I could be wrong - it looked to me as if the visa exempt route for USD200 will buy you the option to visit Argentina as a tourist for up to 180 days but the visa required route for USD150 might buy you as few as 30 days.

I think visa exempt nationals and those like yourself who are treated as visa exempt by virtue of their USA visa will automatically receive permission to stay 90 days as a tourist
I understand you point.

Here are the official details-
The AVE covers foreign holders of ordinary and valid passports, who wish to travel to the Argentine Republic for tourism. For this, they exclusively need to be holders of a valid visa category B2 / J / B1 / O / P (P1-P2-P3) / E / H-1B issued by the United States of America

Regarding foreigners from jurisdictions that are exempted from visas to enter the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, holders of valid ordinary, diplomatic, official or service passports may process their AVE provided that they are able to demonstrate at least ONE (1) verifiable entry to the mentioned country "in the TWO (2) years prior to the application" or who have a valid permit issued by the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) or visas B2 / J / B1 / O / P (P1-P2-P3) / E / H-1B issued by the United States of America

Source: http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/ave/terminos_ing.htm

Anyways, I have dropped an email to Argentina immigration.

Back