Axel K.'s Hi/bye Kiss Isn't For Everybody.

Noesdeayer

Registered
It would appear that Axel K. Cristina's ex-Economy minister is quite selective when it comes to performing the Argentine customary "besuqueo" giving the hi/bye kiss to friends and acquaintances at different meetings.
Last Wednesday,June 1,in the Congress upon greeting Susana Malcorra,Macri's new Foreign Minister,Axel only extended his hand .Susana said," Me puede dar un beso".Axel replied," Bueno,Ud.es diplomatica" by way of an excuse.. Susana : "No soy diplomatica,soy gente.Somos todos los mismos.Somos ciudadanos".However,no go.She didn't get that "beso". I don't think it 's necessary to translate anthing here.The Spanish is not difficult in this exchange.
What I really liked was the way today's Clarin ended the story,"Hay que besarse mas",
We have to kiss each other more. Do you agree?

No, I don't agree (and my Argentine wife agrees with me). According to her, and in my experience, "besos a todos is overused and improperly used mostly by expats - apparently because they think the norm is to kiss everyone - and by many Argentines.

People are going to be hypocritical in interactions whether they kiss on greeting or not. They are going to continue to think the same of the other person, they are going to seek the same goals as always, because it's usually not defined with how they greet someone. Whether it's a handshake or a bow, a nod, a kiss, even a wave. It's in the heart, not in the act.

Kicillof greeted her in a publicly accepted manner. Seems like she was being rude by trying to push something more intimate and possibly "forgiving" than Kicillof was capable of giving, for various reasons, most of them pretty good ones actually. Malcorra's trying to control Kiciloff by shaming him into a besito, which didn't happen, seems kind of petty to me. In this case Kiciloff at least not being hypocritical and Malcorra what - petty? Lording-it-up to the current political underdog?

Drama for nothing? The Novela of Life perhaps? (which came first? Novela or Life?)

El Queso:
I'm with you on that..Susana Malcorra seemed to be almost goading him into the kissing greeting.
I certainly was no big fan of Axel's and even less of Hector "Tweeterman".
However,this type of "pushy" attitude does not speak too well of someone who is hoping to get a top job at the U.N.

Back