BA Cheapest Major City in Latin America

mendozanow said:
http://www.infobae.com/notas/600157-Buenos-Aires-la-ciudad-mas-barata-de-America-Latina.html

Of course, if the stats are based on INDEC lies, we know where to file this ;).

Sounds about right but so what. These surveys never take into account the differences in what people earn in different places. A better scale would be what the average person earns versus what it costs to live of a particular place. If you did it on this basis B.A. would be quite expensive as local wages are very low.

The survey is called cheapest major city in Latin America not the cheapest city to live in Latin America on a local salary

Philsword said:
Sounds about right but so what. These surveys never take into account the differences in what people earn in different places. A better scale would be what the average person earns versus what it costs to live of a particular place. If you did it on this basis B.A. would be quite expensive as local wages are very low.

Are salaries that much lower than what a person would make in Sao Paolo, Santiago, Bogota or Caracas on a local scale? Maybe Santiago, but I find it hard to believe the local salaries are higher in Brazil, Colombia or Venezuela.

Xeneizes said:
Are salaries that much lower than what a person would make in Sao Paolo, Santiago, Bogota or Caracas on a local scale? Maybe Santiago, but I find it hard to believe the local salaries are higher in Brazil, Colombia or Venezuela.

This is a great question and I don't have the answer, but I would like to know why you find it hard to believe that the local salaries are higher in Brazil, Colombia or Venezuela.

steveinbsas said:
This is a great question and I don't have the answer, but I would like to know why you find it hard to believe that the local salaries are higher in Brazil, Colombia or Venezuela.

In reality it's just my completely uneducated and speculative opinion that these countries are less developed, so I very well could be wrong.

Xeneizes said:
In reality it's just my completely uneducated and speculative opinion that these countries are less developed, so I very well could be wrong.

Now that's refreshing!

How's the new job?

Xeneizes said:

After preliminary research, the GDP per capita adjusted for PPP says the following

Argentina: 15,854
Chile: 15,002
Venezuela: 11,829
Brazil: 11,239
Colombia: 9,566

This of course is for the entire country so major cities could be different, and even then it wouldn't tell the whole story, but it does support my theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita

steveinbsas said:
Now that's refreshing!

How's the new job?

New job is great. Love the international atmosphere of the company, just finishing preliminary training. I think my time here is going to be very valuable for many different reasons, and I love this city already (and have yet to explore most of it)

Back