Ba Herald Article Covering The Falklands/malvinas Refendum

Napoleon

Registered
Either yesterday or today's Buenos Aires Herald has an article by an Anglo-Argentine who went to the islands to cover the referendum. He spoke with Kelpers and Argentine vets alike. It's an interesting read.

The fall of a misconception
The experience of a young Anglo-Argentine on the Islands

127683_01_215738.jpg

[background=rgb(76, 91, 145)]The view from the Argentine positions at the Darwin battle-ground. The battle where the Argentine army suffered the highest casualties.[/background]

The cold weather is the first thing to greet you when descending from the airplane at Mount Pleasant. Later, the isolation. There are no trees on the Malvinas Islands. Although beautiful, the landscape is rugged dry grassland. It took me some days to feel the weight of where I was.

Just over 180 years after Luis María Vernet left Port Louis, and 31 years after the war, here I was, a post-war generation Argentine descendant of Luis Vernet — the Hamburg-born Argentine governor who founded the first Argentine colony in Port Louis, governing from 1829 until 1833.

Here I was, standing on the Argentine Artillery location on Wireless Ridge. Mount Longdon, the scene of one of the fiercest battles back in 1982, was eerily standing in front of me, and behind me, Port Stanley.

I was asked to write an article about my experience on the Islands, and it’s turning out to be quite an epic. The mixture of emotions I felt during that week ranged from excitement and adrenaline when covering the referendum to sadness and anger when visiting the battle zones and speaking to Argentine war veterans...

http://www.buenosair...a-misconception

Back