BA in Smithsonian Magazine (June '09)

Some important facts that explain the dour unhappy faces that I encounter daily can be found in this Financial Times excerpt from a book. Many people who come here do seem to be without direction or came to live in elite areas, not to live like a typical Argentine. In fact, theyd be back on the plane in a second if they had to.

www.ft.com/cms/s/2/778193e4-44d8-11de-82d6-00144feabdc0.html

Michelle said:
Check this out:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/Hola-Buenos-Aires.html

Do you like the article? Do you agree with the author?

I had never heard this before: "There's a joke usually attributed to the Mexican writer Octavio Paz: "Mexicans descend from the Aztecs, Peruvians from the Incans, and Argentines...from the boats.""

The article makes some good points but it seems a little out of step with the current reality and I expect a travel piece about anywhere to be positive. Yes B.A. is cheaper than NYC but so what most places are, it plugs the food here but overall the food is pretty boring with not much variety. It talks about the artistic community which I'm not involved so I can't comment.

Another joke: Castro sends 3 representatives to visit the U.S. from Cuba to determine whats gone on since 1959. They return after a month and report the U.S. is way behind Cuba. Castro asks them to explain and they reply that people in the U.S. are living like they did in Cuba 40 years ago.

Michelle said:
Check this out:
I had never heard this before: "There's a joke usually attributed to the Mexican writer Octavio Paz: "Mexicans descend from the Aztecs, Peruvians from the Incans, and Argentines...from the boats.""

This refers to the fact that Argentina, like the USA, were very efficient with the genocide of the native population, hence they are largely of European extraction with almost no native American blood.

Joe said:
This refers to the fact that Argentina, like the USA, were very efficient with the genocide of the native population, hence they are largely of European extraction with almost no native American blood.

Have you been to the US lately? Americans are a pretty mixed bunch- African, European, Native & Latin descent are all represented. Can't say the same for Argentina

7andfive said:
Have you been to the US lately? Americans are a pretty mixed bunch- African, European, Native & Latin descent are all represented. Can't say the same for Argentina

That's because of the different make up, quantity and length of the period of immigration compared to the US. The US continues to be a major immigration magnet and taking in people from all over the world. You can't deny the vast majority of the immigrants to Argentina were of Spanish or Italian descent.

Conorworld said:
That's because of the different make up, quantity and length of the period of immigration compared to the US. The US continues to be a major immigration magnet and taking in people from all over the world. You can't deny the vast majority of the immigrants to Argentina were of Spanish or Italian descent.

Yes, but that was my point- not many other cultures are represented in Argentina as in the US.

I consider that book as political fiction, making shallow comparisons out of proportions. Just two facts (in addition to many others) that made impossible Argentina as a superpower country :A) Neither in the past nor now an enough big interal market to sustain economocal growth.B) far distance from main consumers centers.
No one with sound discernment can compare Argentina with USA, despite some points in common that are scarcely few to build such excentric theory. But, why have I heard in the last year so many times that comparison USA/Argentina? I think it is in order to install the fear to become "Argentina" and prevent Obama to close the economy and not protect free bussiness.

I just finished reading that article in The Smithsonian and it is the reason why I joined this group. I had been entertaining making an international move since I am becoming more and more bored with the hustle and bustle of life in DC.

I'm considering checking out Buenos Aires sometime this year just to get a better idea of what life is really like there. Travel articles understandably tend to lean on the positive characteristics and make little mention or omit entirely the downsides of living overseas.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Hi Jay,

When you say "any tips" what are you referring to? Any tips in general, tips of the problems here?

Its true, most articles and travel journals/blogs write about the good stuff. Here is a list of things that are difficult about Buenos Aires. I love the city, but it can be frusterating. Don´t see this as a bitch session about the city, just figure you want to know:

- extrememly dirty. Garbage everywhere. Polluted.
- very loud!! The buses are especially noisy, its a pretty chaotic city.
- low wages, and it is super expensive here (unless you´re here with saved money, or are paid for a job in dollars).
- a general lack of respect, of one person for another
- inflation (ouch!!)
-shortage of change (soon to change)
- worst of all, bad government. This country has tons of potential, but until they get a great leader, they will continue with hard times.

There are plenty of great things about BA:
- fun, lots of culture, great nightlife, always new and fun things to do
- great restaurants if you have a bit of money
- fun and friendly people
- great transportation 24 hrs
- fun and very different spanish
- great mix of european and latin culture
- great soccer!
- delicious meat
- amazing wine
- the list goes on

IF you want more information, check out my guide to Buenos Aires.

My email is there as well if you have questions.

Cheers,
Diego

Back