BA, Montevideo, Sao Paulo or Santiago

Hockey_Nut said:
If I would be investing, migrating or buying a property I would definitly consider it, but lets just focus on quality of life?

How can a "serious discussion" about the quality of life in these cities exclude job prospects (for those who have to work) and buying property versus renting (certainly key factors in determining the cost of living and two that would strongly affect the quality of life)?

Since this is an expat website, wouldn't those interested in the "quality of life" abroad be doing so within the context of immigration? Otherwise, what's the point?

Difficult to answer your question. I think that Sao Paulo has poor "quality of life" (pollution, noise...) in this urban jungle, but I agree others factors have to be considered too.
I am curious about reading you on Bogota, Caracas, Rio, Lima....

I'm sort of going to agree with others that say this is a bit of an exercise in futility.

I mean, what is the point of your query? How long are you going to say? If you are not migrating (ie. going to official route) then the corruption, rental market, politics, etc can still play a role in QOL. If you just want to look at pretty girls and have sex there are other countries better suited. Are you looking for steady girlfriend/wife? This can impact where you go.

Otherwise, you can live pretty much anywhere for 3 months. I'd even consider living in Sao Paulo for three months. But no more. If you plan to stay longer than than your tourist visa lasts then you have to know how "friendly" the officials & locals will be to your adventure. Will you be able to find a place to stay long/longer term, can you get a local mobile phone, internet, healthcare, banking issues, etc, etc. all without papers? It can be a huge PITA living as an illegal in some countries, thus reducing greatly your QOL.

An then the rest is a question of taste. Santiago I'd be bored to tears. & if I had to move to Brazil for longer than 3 months, I'd consider one of the smaller cities like Curitiba or Florianopolis or any number of others.

steveinbsas said:
How can a "serious discussion" about the quality of life in these cities exclude job prospects (for those who have to work) and buying property versus renting (certainly key factors in determining the cost of living and two that would strongly affect the quality of life)?

Since this is an expat website, wouldn't those interested in the "quality of life" abroad be doing so within the context of immigration? Otherwise, what's the point?

To find out what other people of this board think of those 4 cities

cricri58 said:
Difficult to answer your question. I think that Sao Paulo has poor "quality of life" (pollution, noise...) in this urban jungle, but I agree others factors have to be considered too.
I am curious about reading you on Bogota, Caracas, Rio, Lima....

I hated Rio and never go back, In Lima I would move around in a very small group of well-offs and there is too much poverty for my taste. I haven´t been to Caracas or Bogota but from what I heard they are probally just places to visit but not to live

mini said:
I'm sort of going to agree with others that say this is a bit of an exercise in futility.

I mean, what is the point of your query? How long are you going to say? If you are not migrating (ie. going to official route) then the corruption, rental market, politics, etc can still play a role in QOL. If you just want to look at pretty girls and have sex there are other countries better suited. Are you looking for steady girlfriend/wife? This can impact where you go.

Otherwise, you can live pretty much anywhere for 3 months. I'd even consider living in Sao Paulo for three months. But no more. If you plan to stay longer than than your tourist visa lasts then you have to know how "friendly" the officials & locals will be to your adventure. Will you be able to find a place to stay long/longer term, can you get a local mobile phone, internet, healthcare, banking issues, etc, etc. all without papers? It can be a huge PITA living as an illegal in some countries, thus reducing greatly your QOL.

An then the rest is a question of taste. Santiago I'd be bored to tears. & if I had to move to Brazil for longer than 3 months, I'd consider one of the smaller cities like Curitiba or Florianopolis or any number of others.

I love Curitiba but it´s more like comparing it to Rosario, eventhough you could make a case for Montevideo as well then. I have been to Floriapa and really didn´t like it but I am also that much into the beach

I just wonder what other people think about those cities. I have been almost 5 years in BA now but also travel quite a bit and I like BA, I have my places I like, favorite places to go out, friends, both expat and local, a sports team to play with and a local soccer team which games I enjoy going to.

From what I know of SP, MVD or SCL is that it´s probbally not a place where I could easily stay 5 years, I would think it would be a lot harder to build up the same kind of life I have in BA.

I personally don´t think Santiago is boring, the beaches are close, the mountains are close, countyside is close, there are plenty of nice places to go out or go out for dinner. I think spending one summer season(dec-Feb) or a winter season (June - Sept) doesn´t really sound that bad, but I am sure it would bore me after 6 months or so

Hockey_Nut said:
To find out what other people of this board think of those 4 cities

Think of them as a place to visit or live?

There's a big differece, as mini pointed out.

Why don't you ask Granadiscool, cabj, blahblah, and perhaps even orwellian...

The sum total of all of their knowledge, still might not exceed yours, however.

steveinbsas said:
Think of them as a place to visit or live?

There's a big differece, as mini pointed out.

Why don't you ask Granadiscool, cabj, blahblah, and perhaps even orwellian...

The sum total of all of their knowledge still might not exceed yours, however.

To live....

Back