ba university question

oldgringo

Registered
I just wanted to hear any opinions on what a UBA degree would carry in the states . My daughter is interested in computer programing or game design but she is only going into 11th grade. She is worried about getting hired in the U.S. without a degree up there. I was wondering if she would be better off going down here and having the 30000 dollars I was saving or to go up and spend that all and also have student debt to pay . I know it depends on what kind of degree she gets but just wanted to hear opinions of younger people than I . We had planned on retiring in Argentina as my wife is from B.A. and I did just retire and this means we would have to move and I would have to go back to work and at 64 I don't know how that would go . Thanks in advance for any replies.

I'm pretty sure companies like Google have no problem hiring UBA graduates with computer science ("informatica") degrees. I personally know at least one who interned at Google before he had finished his degree at UBA. Fortunately programming doesn't require any special licensing like being a doctor or a civil engineer or something.

I have no idea how good the computer science education is at UBA. I know some excellent programmers who went there, but I think they were excellent anyway, not because of UBA.

Also if you go the USA route, she may be able to save a bunch of money by first going to a community college, at the same time establishing residency in whatever state she wants to graduate in. Then once she has state residency and the first 2 years of classes out of the way, she can transfer to the university with in-state tuition. Of course you have to start by looking at the transfer-in requirements for the university she wants to graduate from.

If it's any sort of STEM degree like CS, undergrad prestige in the US is now nearly meaningless if all you are looking for is a job at Google etc... Getting the job will depend on talent, and job candidates are subjected to exams.

If she's trying to get a job at an elite hedge fund or investment bank, then prestige (but only at the very top 10 schools) would make a difference. It is easier to get into an analyst program if you're coming from Harvard, but if you're applying from random STATE U or a lower-tier private school like Tufts, that is no advantage to UBA.

If she wants to go to graduate school, undergrad prestige is definitely meaningless, and may even hurt her because it's going to be a lot harder to standout from the pack at Caltech than UBA.

There are very few scenarios in which turning down UBA to spend $50K+ per year to attend school in the US make any sense. And again, if your daughter is considering only second tier schools in the US, it absolutely does not make any sense at all unless she has a very strong geographical preference to work and live in the region of that US school.

Last edited:
Back