Baby Stuff And Customs

slyie

Registered
Hi guys,
Does anybody know how tough customs in Ezeiza are on bringing baby things into the country? My husband (Argentinian) and I (Irish) are in Europe at the moment but we want to bring a pushchair, car seat, sterilizer etc from here for our new baby which we are expecting in November. My husband is afraid customs will crucify us if we bring stuff through but I have never been checked for anything before so I don't know if they would check me this time. Although we are married, I have not gotten my Argentinian residency sorted yet so I am still living on the tourist visa, would this make a difference? Any help or advice from people that have been through the same would be much appreciated.

I seriously doubt that you will have to pay customs. I think that it will still be cheaper to bring the items (even if you have to pay customs) than if you were to buy the same items in the country.

Look on MercadoLibre for the items that you want to bring and figure out how much you will have to pay with customs (example if you claim 1000USD in items you will have to pay $350 in customs(1000-300/2) and I am sure that it will still be cheaper than buying the items here (many items cost twice as much here). Show that information to your husband to show him how much money you will save. :)

Lastly, I hear more people saying that they wished they would have brought items into the country than people complaining that they had to pay customs.

I had my first baby in April of this year, and when I traveled to the US this past January, 90% of my luggage that I brought back was baby-related stuff (clothes, toys, bottles, pacifiers, sterilizers, and a stroller, to name just a few). When my mother came to visit in mid-April, she brought 3 full suitcases worth of baby stuff (including a brand new baby monitor) and a car seat. Neither of us had any problem whatsoever. In the case of my mom, they didn't even take her customs declaration form. I really wouldn't sweat it too much.

When I was waiting for my final connecting flight in Atlanta, I was speaking to an Argentine couple (they appeared to be my age, in their late 20s) about my concern about getting stopped when passing through customs. After all, with a visible baby bump and a stroller, I wasn't looking like a typical tourist. They told me not to worry, to speak only English and brandish my US passport (face up) whenever possible. Keeping in mind that this was January 2013, they told me that the "hot item" that people were being stopped for was the new iPhone 5, and that was pretty much it.

One thing that helped me save some space on the flight going back to Argentina was that I bought a Skip Hop brand diaper bag and used it as one of my carry-ons- they are spacious and gender-neutral looking, they are designed in such a way that they could pass for normal messanger bags and have a ton of compartments. I stuffed every nook, cranny, and crevice of my diaper bag with everything that it had the capactiy to hold.

It's very unlikely that you will have any problem. Buena suerte! :)

Strollers and carseats are commonly used when traveling with kids, so take those out of the boxes and check them as luggage, they do not pay extra :) you will not be charged for this at customs as they will think you were using them for the flight.

Might crucify your husband, but not you. We came back in November loaded down with baby stuff. I went through by myself with all the new goods just in case.

Strollers and carseats are commonly used when traveling with kids, so take those out of the boxes and check them as luggage, they do not pay extra :) you will not be charged for this at customs as they will think you were using them for the flight.

are the stroller and car seat still free of charge if you are just pregnant and dont have an actual baby with you???

are the stroller and car seat still free of charge if you are just pregnant and dont have an actual baby with you???
You got me there! It might work with the airline, I guess depending on how busy they are lol, certainly with the Ezeiza mess and packed full lines, how could they know which parent is with the child at the moment... ;)

I wonder if telling the airline that you bring those in case the baby was born while you were traveling might do it?The OP can call the airline and ask. For the customs part, 99.99% sure they will not be charged.

Have brought into EZE, strollers, baby car seats, portable cribs and about every damn gadget known to man/woman for infants. The big deal is, I am only 68yrs old male and traveling alone. No rug rat in tow. Not a problem YET. Some of these customs problems at EZE are blown out of proportion in my view. My AR GF was loaded with stuff, waved on through. Maybe it is all in the timing.

Back