Baby Supplies - Prices?

sinagua980

Registered
This feels weird to ask, but I could really use some help in figuring out how much per month (within the first 6-12 months) baby supplies might cost. I can do the simple math of checking prices, but my ignorance goes deeper. I don't even know how many of each item I'd need to know how to calculate a total! I'm so clueless when it comes to babies and baby costs, so any help you can offer me is SO appreciated!

Here's some info that might help:
- We have health insurance, so that cost is covered
- We have many of the one-time purchases: crib, stroller, blankets, toys

Specifically, I think I need price/quantity info about the following:
- diapers
- food and food-related items (bottles)
- clothes
- anything else I'm missing??

Thank you!!!

Well costs may vary. For instance, baby formula - you may use it, or maybe you'll just breast feed. Although I will say both of my sister in laws had babies this year and although both planned to strictly breast feed, they've both had to supplement with formula because they could not produce enough.
Clothes... depends where you buy and how many outfits you buy. I've seen baby clothes from 50 pesos to 200... they aren't cheap, I will say that. :)
Then you have toys, bedding, nursery decoration, bjorn, and all the other little extras that add up.

This website is based on the US (where much of it is cheaper) but may give you a general idea of items you need. (For instance - they have 8 pacifiers for $6... my sister in law accidentally melted a couple of hers while boiling, and was complaining because they were 80 pesos for 2, but she likes to buy expensive stuff.)
http://www.babycente...cost-calculator

I don't have kids but really, your question has too many variables.
1) Diapers. Totally depends on the brand. A quick check on mercadolbire reveals prices ranging from 35 pesos for a 36 pack of babylook brand to a 53 pesos for a 36 pack of pampers. But say an average of 1 peso a diaper and you'll go through 7+ a day normally.
2) Food - totally depends on whether you are breast-feeding 100%, partially or not at all.
3) Clothes - more than you can imagine. Syngirl had a good post recently about the cost difference between buying here/there. Maybe send her a PM.

I think it depends how you do it too... Friends of mine in the UK seem to use a lot more stuff than the couple of people here I know that've had kids (sophisticated pumps, breast friends, a whole lot of shiz to bounce the baby in or rock the baby in or whatever). One friend here never bought a pushchair, highchair, changing table or even a crib...The baby slept in like a pack-and-play type thing, got carried around in a sling, ate in her mother's lap and 100% breast fed for the first year (which obviously, is beyond the mum's control in many cases). It seemed fine!
I know that baby clothes here are extortionate so if there's any way you can get a friend/family member to bring you some basic onesies, etc you'll probably save a lot that way. Diapers I've seen here are around 80 pesos a big pack (cant remember how many comes in a pack) but you should check supermarket offers/brands, etc.

Always check the supermarkets weekly offers - Coto will always have one brand in its weekly catalog and you can save 25-30% - Jumbo will often do a big saving if you buy two packs.

Back