Back Again: First Impressions

sleslie23

Registered
So, I'm back for a month. This is the second time since I "left." Here are my impressions:

Flight: As usual, I have to explain the United checkin staff in Austin that I do not need to pay the reciprocity fee with a DNI. After 10 minutes of confused looks and a phone call I was on my way.

A strange thing happened after passing through the boarding gate in Houston. Customs was stopping everyone asking how much US and foreign currency they were carrying. I don't remember this happening before.

The United plane from IAH to EZE was newer. The seats in Economy Plus were roomy and (something I hadn't seen before) had USB ports. Great for charging up all the iCrap. Also, the staff was remarkably friendly. I really like United since the Continental merger.

AR Immigrations and Customs: Friendly fellow in immigration. I still have my old DNI (that's why I'm back) and asked what will happen if I don't get the new one before 2015. He said there wouldn't be a problem even if I don't have it. (YMMV)

Handed the customs dude my form and spoke in English ("Do I hand this to you") He payed attention to the screen, but said nothing. I was carrying quite a few electric guitar parts, which I thought might raise him out of the chair, but nothing else out of the ordinary.

Prices: Some things seem a lot more expensive than in August

- 50 pesos for a pint (The Oldest in Caballito) I don't think that changed. It was 50 last time I was here.
- 50 pesos for agua con gas / cafe cortado (Everywhere) This is what I use as a litmus test for inflation. That's a good 8-10 pesos more than last trip.
- 195 pesos for lunch (El Colmado - Cerviño y Kennedy). I used to live next door and would go for lunch 1-2 times a week. In March, it was only 95 pesos (mas o menos), in August 120, and now 195.
- 70 pesos for a liter and 3 empanadas (Casona Cultural Humahuaca) That's more than it used to be, but still a good deal.

I haven't had time to purchase or do much else yet.

Clarin: Today's headline - "El Gobierno compró equipos para espiar celulares y mails."

The United plane from IAH to EZE was newer. The seats in Economy Plus were roomy and (something I hadn't seen before) had USB ports. Great for charging up all the iCrap. Also, the staff was remarkably friendly.

Ditto. I noticed exactly the same things in recent flight on the same route..ANd yes the staff seemed much more friendly and polite than the AA staff on Miam-EZE flight.

I fly almost exclusively with United, only because I'm from their main hub city and they go everywhere I go, or I wouldn't. Ask any Houstonian who flies how they feel about United and you'll get an earful. That airline was a damn disaster for years following the merger. They've cleaned up their act a bit at least in terms of cabin crew service as far as I can tell, but ugh, United. Glad you had a good experience. Hope they keep getting better.

It never fails that every flight I'm on to Argentina ends with many of the Argentine passengers standing up while the plane is still taxiing to the gate at EZE. They usually ignore the commands of the crew to remain seated and start taking their luggage out of the racks. They seem to think they are going to get off the plane sooner than other passengers if they do this.

I smile when they are yelled at and are forced to sit back down.

I fly almost exclusively with United, only because I'm from their main hub city and they go everywhere I go, or I wouldn't. Ask any Houstonian who flies how they feel about United and you'll get an earful. That airline was a damn disaster for years following the merger. They've cleaned up their act a bit at least in terms of cabin crew service as far as I can tell, but ugh, United. Glad you had a good experience. Hope they keep getting better.

Likewise. I used to live in SF and only flew United because it was a hub. I had a horrible experience on a flight from EZE to SFO years ago (the night it snowed, actually) and refused to fly them for years. But now that I live in Austin, they are the quickest to Argentina and have direct flights to SFO. I've had 5 flights to those two locations this year and they were all excellent.

Back