Backpacking Argentina To The Usa

Dmiller

Registered
Hey everyone , I am planning a trip from Buenos Aires to the USA. I will probably be leaving in a couple of weeks and was seeing if anyone has any advice on places to stop and things to see. I am going to go through Bolivia , Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, take a boat to Panama , up through central america and then through Mexico. I posted this in another thread but no response . So i figured i should post a new one. Oh and i saw you need a yellow fever shot for Bolivia and you can get it free at [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]"Dirección Nacional de Fronteras". Do you have to set up an appointment to go or do they accept walk ins?[/background]

What fun! On your way to Bolivia I recommend visiting Salta and doing a day trip to Tilcara and Humahuaca. A day trip to Cachi through the Los Cardones National Park is also good. I took the bus from Buenos Aires to Salta which took 21 hours but wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be! Cordoba is also an interesting city to visit for a day or two in my opinion. Everyone on here recommends the Salt Flats in Boliva but I haven't done those yet.

holy smoke... quite a trip.Looking for coyote contact too?

Yeah i was thinking of stopping by Salta on my way to Bolivia. Its Basically on the way and i have never been to another part of Argentina besides Buenos Aires. Well I take that back I have been to Las Toninas . It was a nice little beach town. I took a bus there and the bus ride was pretty comfortable Just as long as you bring a book!

Catamarca, Salta, Jujuy, and the alto-plano on the Road to the Clouds northwest of Jujuy, Bolivian Salt Flats, cross over into Bolivia at Villalon. Go north to Lago Poopó at Challapata. Nice little towns to spend a couple of days. Work northwest to Lago Titicaca. If you like serious out-of-the way jungle stuff get yourself from there to Manaus, Brazil. the only problem going to Manuas is getting to Columbia from there. That route goes through some of the deepest drug-controlled areas of Columbia. Otherwise take the Peruvian coast north to Columbia. You should have no problems going to Bogatá and Medellín. Don't leave Columbia without going to Cartagena. If you see a strikingly gorgeous, tall, dark haired woman named Gloriana there tell her I said hello. :)

Central America is pretty straightforward.

Once in Mexico stay on the Pacific Coast. Avoid Mexico city if you can. Once you are at Mazatlán turn inland and head to Durango, then north to Chihauhau. If you pass Camargo and meet a beautiful dark haired girl with green eyes whose name is Angelita please give her my regards. She makes the world's best jamoncillos!

At that point I'd head back West to the Pacific and cross over in Tijuana, but then I'm blond haired and all of the drug problems are mostly at the borders of Ciudad Juarez and neighboring border towns. Besides, after this trip you are going to want to hang out for awhile in San Diego.

Avoid Mexico city if you can.

Why would you avoid Mexico City?
I was just there in May for a week, and it is GREAT.
Its mostly cheaper than BsAs, safer, and a lot of fun.
Incredible food at all price points, fast, safe and cheap public transportation, world class museums, great art scene, incredible markets, with shopping from 1 peso to 1 million, really nice, hip, and friendly people, cabs that cost much less than in Argentina, and, in general, a very entertaining city to spend a few days in.

No, its not the stereotype of Mexican countryside, with 19th century villages- its a modern, up to date, world class city that has almost everything.

Once in Mexico stay on the Pacific Coast. Avoid Mexico city if you can. Once you are at Mazatlán turn inland and head to Durango, then north to Chihauhau. If you pass Camargo and meet a beautiful dark haired girl with green eyes whose name is Angelita please give her my regards. She makes the world's best jamoncillos!

At that point I'd head back West to the Pacific and cross over in Tijuana, but then I'm blond haired and all of the drug problems are mostly at the borders of Ciudad Juarez and neighboring border towns. Besides, after this trip you are going to want to hang out for awhile in San Diego.
Unfortunately not only for blond haired - but in general has become very dangerous near the whole border. Ciudad Juarez is probably the most dangerous of the border towns but they all have become pretty ugly. Most stories of what really happens there do not make it into the news because reporters have to fear for their live if they write about it. Although there seems to be a some improvement since Peña Nieto took office - I would avoid the whole border region if possible. But most Mexicans are pretty nice people and almost always try to help foreigners. So if you get closer to the border just ask them and they will tell what roads are safe and what places to avoid. Just don't ask the guys with the black trucks with tinted windows and no license plates ;)

Mexico city is a pretty interesting city but is indeed very dangerous. You cannot even take a taxi on the street, because chances are it is a taxi pirata and they will take you to an ATM and put a gun to your head (and drop you off in some scary neighborhood after getting the maximum amount of cash from your bank cards). I have been several times to the city but always had Mexican friends with me that knew where to go and where not to go. If you do your homework, prepare your trip and make some contacts beforehand - you should be fine. But there is no way Mexico City is safer than Buenos Aires.

Have to strongly disagree there. While Mexico City is much safer than other parts of Mexico, it is significantly more dangerous than Buenos Aires.

Can't disagree about the food though! And I'd say almost everywhere in LatAm is cheaper than BsAs these days...

Also Re: Mexico - places that I really like in Mexico and think are well worth visiting: Oaxaca (pretty safe), Puerto Escondido (to relax a few days at the ocean - 3 hours from Oaxaca also pretty safe), Merida (pretty safe - and you can visit the Mayan site Chichen Itza from there), Veracruz (not as safe as Oaxaca but safer then Mexico City) and Guadalajara (relatively safe). Based on recommendations from locals I have always avoided the state of Chihauhau.

Back