Backpacking? I found white gas and freeze dried food in Buenos Aires!

rob0001

Registered
Both of these things have been on my search list since arrival in BA. I finally found both of them at Camping Center: Esmeralda 945 www.campingcenter.com.ar
The guy that runs this speaks English and has the white gas made for him. It costs 2000 pesos per liter.
There are also now two manufacturers of freeze dried food in Argentina. One has only 3 flavors but is packaged like mountain house products that can be eaten in the package after adding hot water to it. He tells me it tastes better than the other brand but he carries both. The other brand has more flavors and is cheaper at about 1800 pesos each. The first one is 2300 pesos each and has 2000kcals per package. I'll be testing them both soon.
There are 3 locations of this store and he told me you can order online and he ships anywhere in Argentina including the white gas.

Screenshot_2023-05-11-14-53-31-111.jpgThese are perfect replacement for Primus butane cartridges used with stoves,lanterns! ...

Both of these things have been on my search list since arrival in BA. I finally found both of them at Camping Center: Esmeralda 945 www.campingcenter.com.ar
The guy that runs this speaks English and has the white gas made for him. It costs 2000 pesos per liter.
There are also now two manufacturers of freeze dried food in Argentina. One has only 3 flavors but is packaged like mountain house products that can be eaten in the package after adding hot water to it. He tells me it tastes better than the other brand but he carries both. The other brand has more flavors and is cheaper at about 1800 pesos each. The first one is 2300 pesos each and has 2000kcals per package. I'll be testing them both soon.
There are 3 locations of this store and he told me you can order online and he ships anywhere in Argentina including the white gas.
Yes you can find it in many camp supply stores around the country. Listed as benzina benzine benzene. Usually given in a 1Lt clear soda bottle. Not as good for your health compared to the camp fuel sold in USA from "Coleman" and MSR though debatable if breathing those fumes is ideal either.

Orviz.com camping store in Mendoza has it. Not to be confused with the Orvis fishing supply international brand

Last edited:
Yes you can find it in many camp supply stores around the country. Listed as benzina benzine benzene. Usually given in a 1Lt clear soda bottle. Not as good for your health compared to the camp fuel sold in USA from "Coleman" and MSR though debatable if breathing those fumes is ideal either.

Orviz.com camping store in Mendoza has it. Not to be confused with the Orvis fishing supply international brand
Thanks for the info...I don't intend on breathing it of course...it's used outside while camping and is the best product for my MSR whisperlite that I've found.

Thanks for the info...I don't intend on breathing it of course...it's used outside while camping and is the best product for my MSR whisperlite that I've found.
Yes I use it for the same reason. My Whisperlite International is almost 20 years old and still works well with occasional maintenance. It can run on anything (including nafta), but best to stay with the clean white gas.

Back