Bad Night At Yuki

Johnny

Registered
I've been away from Buenos Aires for a few years and recently returned. I've always held Yuki in high regard and recommended it to many folks. Last night I went with a friend and the sushi was very poor. I had chirashi which was the worse chirashi I've ever had with very little fish over a bed of cold rice. My pal had a plate of nigiri which was also poor.

Has anybody else had a poor experience there lately ? I'm hoping this was a one off and I caught them on a bad night. It would be a pity if Yuki has fallen off its perch as one of the best sushi restaurants in the city.

I havent been to yuki in about 18 months but it was good then as always. Maybe they had an off Night. I hope that's the case as I have lots of fond memories of dining there from back when I lived in the ghetto.

edit: did you see who was making the sushi. Was it the same older gentleman who's been there since forever?

I havent been to yuki in about 18 months but it was good then as always. Maybe they had an off Night. I hope that's the case as I have lots of fond memories of dining there from back when I lived in the ghetto.

edit: did you see who was making the sushi. Was it the same older gentleman who's been there since forever?

I didn't see, no, and wish I had. I was at a table with my back to the sushi bar. I should have investigated. I remember that old fellow well.

Honestly, the chirashi was so skimpy that I probably should have refused it. I wonder if they are having issues importing decent fish ?

I tried to get in there on Tuesday night at 8. Not a single person was there eating, but the owner said the place was booked full. In the 20 minutes we were there no one came. I was a bit upset because from my perspective, we could've been a third of the way into our meal. (I politely tried to negotiate a short dinner but he wouldn't budge.). The same old sushi chef was there
But the story has a happy ending, I asked for a referral as we were two women alone and he referred us to the recently opened sushi restaurant of the sister of his chef! Three blocks away
Ichisou
Venezuela 2145
Dinner Mon-Sat 7:30-11:30
4942-5853
My friend is a sushi connoisseur and was raving. She also preferred the ambiance. We were the only non Asians seated. The menu was all traditional japanese and sushi. The service friendly and good. And the prices very reasonable. They had some ten percent discount on Tuesdays so the two of us ate and had wine at a total of 420 pesos plus tip. One of my best restaurant experiences in BA!

I tried to get in there on Tuesday night at 8. Not a single person was there eating, but the owner said the place was booked full. In the 20 minutes we were there no one came. I was a bit upset because from my perspective, we could've been a third of the way into our meal. (I politely tried to negotiate a short dinner but he wouldn't budge.). The same old sushi chef was there
But the story has a happy ending, I asked for a referral as we were two women alone and he referred us to the recently opened sushi restaurant of the sister of his chef! Three blocks away
Ichisou
Venezuela 2145
4942-5853
My friend is a sushi connoisseur and was raving. She also preferred the ambiance. We were the only non Asians seated. The menu was all traditional japanese and sushi. The service friendly and good. And the prices very reasonable. They had some ten percent discount on Tuesdays so the two of us ate and had wine at a total of 420 pesos plus tip. One of my best restaurant experiences in BA!

Much thanks for that !

Ichisou
Venezuela 2145
4942-5853

I haven't been to Ichisou for a while, but I've always liked it. Even more I liked Club M: http://tinyurl.com/kc7r8j9

Club M is far from cheap, but well worth it for a special occasion.

I have to check out club M. I've been to the bar du marche multiple times but have always been skeptical about the quality of the sushi upstairs.

I've always been a big fan of Irifune but haven't been in quite a while. Paraguay in the 400s. (microcentro)

Drove one time across town in nightmare traffic to Yuki after hearing the raves, and left feeling thoroughly unimpressed. Never returned.
Sushi in BA just makes me miss the sushi from home!!

Back