BAExpat Member Featured In the La Nación

Quilombo

Registered
As usual, I read the news throughout the day when I stumbled across the following article in La Nación:

They want to deport three Russian women who arrived pregnant at Ezeiza for being "false tourists"
It piqued my interest as I had arrived at Ezeiza earlier this week myself, having returning home from a vacation abroad when I noticed several Russian
speaking women on my flight and at the baggage carousel; I assumed they were likely immigrating here, if not doing the birth right immigration we've all
likely seen an uptick in questions about online by foreigners when the following paragraph featured a familiar name:

"It is an act of violence against women," said Christian Rubilar, a lawyer for the Russian women, in dialogue with TN. He continued: “They do not receive medical assistance, they cannot leave the airport. They are in labor in Ezeiza without being able to go to the hospital and they want to put them on a plane."

Thought you all might find it interesting, and good luck @Bajo_cero2 with the cases. While I may be a layman, but I can't seem to identify what law these woman are allegedly breaking by wanting to immigrate here. Besides, was Article 25 ever repealed? If not the DNM is likely violating the constitution, it's in black and white: after all:

The federal government will encourage European immigration, and may not restrict, limit, or tax the entry into the Argentine territory of foreigners who come for the purpose of cultivating land, improving industries, and introducing and teaching the sciences and arts.

Last time I checked the Russian Federation is the largest European country...

Does Bajo_cero post here much anymore? Back in the day several years ago he posted quite a bit of information and posts here. I haven't seen his posts in a while.

Seems strange to me that Argentina would care much about these Russian tourists. They seem to let everyone and their brother and sister in. They are part of the Mercosur and have essentially an open border to live and work for many, many countries.

I did notice several Russian tourists while I was there last week. Argentina is only one of a handful of countries that let Russians travel to now.

There are many Russians coming here because they are now persona non grata in the US. The last time I was in Migracion there were a couple of Russian fighting age males who said that they have better things to do than go to Ukraine.

Does Bajo_cero post here much anymore? Back in the day several years ago he posted quite a bit of information and posts here. I haven't seen his posts in a while.
He does, was last online in early January which makes sense given the Feria Judicial, and it seems like he'll have his hands full for February with this.

The last time I was in Migracion there were a couple of Russian fighting age males who said that they have better things to do than go to Ukraine.

I don't blame them, I'd do exactly the same thing if I were them as a fighting age male myself, and Ukraine and NATO countries should be thankful to Argentina (and others) for letting them come in, less soldiers for Russia.

If you check the Real Estate Section in Facebook most of the ads looking for Apartments are Russian

More info in the TN article for anyone interested:
Esta tarde, el abogado Christian Rubilar, defensor de una de las mujeres rusas que lleva 32 semanas de embarazo explicó a TN que “tiene muchas contracciones y está entrando en trabajo de parto”.

Yo interpuse un hábeas corpus que está en pleno trámite y Migraciones pretende deportarlas con recursos judiciales pendientes. Con todo, si las deportan van a ser perseguidos penalmente por el delito de privación ilegítima de la libertad“, explicó el letrado.

Some more info:

In exchange for 15 thousand dollars: The lawyer [bajo_cero] of one of the pregnant Russian women detained in Ezeiza pointed against "trafficking networks

They come to give birth to Argentina. They reveal that last night more than 30 Russian pregnant women arrived at Ezeiza on a single flight

This tracks with exactly what I saw earlier this week myself as I walked past the Ethiopian Airlines baggage carousel: an incredible amount of luggage and tons of people speaking Russian.

And again, despite what Florence Carignano/the DNM asserts, while it's clear these women are not tourists, none of these women have committed any crimes, nor are they required to go to the Argentine embassies abroad as she suggests since Russian citizens have visa free access to Argentina, and Russia is a European country for which Article 25 of the Constitution explicitly forbids the restriction, limiting, and taxing the entry into the Argentine territory there of.

If Carignano has a problem with this she is free to advocate that Article 25 be repealed and that Russia lose visa free access to Argentina, but until then this seems like a slam dunk habeas corpus case for every single one, and if I were the Russian women I'd be looking to denounce Florence Carignano for both discrimination and gender violence since the DNM is explicitly targeting Russian women when pregnant women from other countries and basically all of us reading this have entered the country first as tourists and changed our migration status once inside.

But hey, good luck trying to get Ks to practice what they preach.

According to this: https://www.infobae.com/sociedad/po...lsas-turistas-que-no-pueden-ingresar-al-pais/ the problem seems to be that the women arrived without funds to support themselves, and couldn't say where they were going to stay. Having an onward / return ticket is a requirement to enter Argentina, as we discussed in another thread, and without funds, claiming to be tourists would seem to be implausible at the least. The article also says that Bajo Cero's request for an injunction was rejected.

A bunch of airlines are probably now regretting not having checked for return tickets now.

Even so, Migraciones could treat this as a humanitarian case and leave the women in, as long as they're not going to be wandering the streets without funds, which nobody will want to see happen.

The pregnant women in Ezeiza will be allowed to give birth in Argentina, due to the advance state of the pregnancy. Fifty eight hundred pregnant Russian women have entered the country since November?

Last edited:
Back