BAExpats Exclusive: Actor Gael García Bernal is seeking Argentine citizenship

camel

Registered
I was poking around looking at recent citizenship cases in Argentina's Poder Judicial's (Federal Court) website. I did a search for "Garcia" because it's a common name and an easy way to get a bunch of search results. What do I see at the bottom of the first page of results?

1567039306766.png

Wow, that's a unique name - Gael García Bernal - sound familiar? This is the guy who literally played Che Guevara in The Motorcycle Diaries.

I clicked on the case details, and it appears that he formally requested Argentine citizenship on June 11, 2019. And just last week, August 23, the court mentioned that his residencia precaria appears to have expired in 2018. I wonder how long it will take for him to get citizenship.

1567038551395.png

I couldn't find any mention of this in the news or on Google. Hence the title of this post.

I was poking around looking at recent citizenship cases in Argentina's Poder Judicial's (Federal Court) website. I did a search for "Garcia" because it's a common name and an easy way to get a bunch of search results. What do I see at the bottom of the first page of results?

View attachment 6087

Wow, that's a unique name - Gael García Bernal - sound familiar? This is the guy who literally played Che Guevara in The Motorcycle Diaries.

I clicked on the case details, and it appears that he formally requested Argentine citizenship on June 11, 2019. And just last week, August 23, the court mentioned that his residencia precaria appears to have expired in 2018. I wonder how long it will take for him to get citizenship.

View attachment 6084

I couldn't find any mention of this in the news or on Google. Hence the title of this post.
...and Amores Perros.

His ex-wife lives here and they have a son together. I've run into him a few times in the past few years. Stand-up fellow, hope he's successful getting his citizenship. Sidenote: how do you peruse that site? I'm thinking about citizenship myself but coming off a tourist visa only would love to see if there were any recent cases being granted and that seems a great place to look.

Thanks for you find, I will use him to compare how my citizenship case goes. So far- I am ahead, have more 'fallos", haha

Back