Baexpats - Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Girino

Registered
We should start a sort of Wiki about BAExpats, there are too many interesting characters and special guests, many posts reference to them and they might sound senseless to newcomers.
Also, some keywords such as cueva, stenoblauch, poterrarian, "gone pauper" (ok this was just made up) are not yet featured in Urban Dictionary, so we should provide an explanation.

This should be fun. I can't wait for Ajo's definition of Steve and for Steve's definition of Ajo.

A wiki definitely makes sense for the information such as residency, changing money, and other questions that come up over and over.

Like Nutela? available at $60 pesos for 350 grs. jar at Chino markets

Serafina,

We had wiki installed in one of the previous versions. Basically, it does not work. With wiki we would need to have a dedicated team of people ready to categorize content and maintain it on a consistent basis. It is a tedious job and this creates a big gap between "It would be nice to have" and actually having a wiki that is useful, informative and properly updated.

In general, the idea of providing content in a structured manner, so that it is easier for people to find the things they need, had its better days but now it is mostly over. Even Yahoo has closed its directory recently, and it was huge.

The shift is to better search facilities and content auto-discovery. For example, when you are reading a thread, it would be nice to have related threads listed at the bottom automatically.

If you want to help and think that some things need better definitions, or need to be more prominently displayed, write a post about it. Like khairyexpat did with his Immigration for dummies. I can stick it on the top of the Expat life forum, for example.

Hello admin,

thanks for your contribution. My idea was about a fun Wiki and not about a real BA Guide. As you said, that's too much work and the Argentinian panorama changes quite often, especially info about prices, laws and rules.

A lot of post reference to past discussion and members and I find it hard to keep track with everything. You miss that post where the term Stenoblauch was invented, and you are bound to ignorance for ever.
I myself lost the post where Potterarian was born - does it refer to Harry Potter? To the user Red Possum?

Hello admin,

thanks for your contribution. My idea was about a fun Wiki and not about a real BA Guide. As you said, that's too much work and the Argentinian panorama changes quite often, especially info about prices, laws and rules.

A lot of post reference to past discussion and members and I find it hard to keep track with everything. You miss that post where the term Stenoblauch was invented, and you are bound to ignorance for ever.
I myself lost the post where Potterarian was born - does it refer to Harry Potter? To the user Red Possum?

The Stenoblauch Symbiosis is documented -

https://en.wikipedia...lauch_Symbiosis

sJa6wUI.png

Great, Pauper! Now the Potterarian, please!

Great, Pauper! Now the Potterarian, please!
Don't thank me, thank whoever took the time to post the article.

Potterarian I will never touch, but...

going pauper: specifically describes the secret art of bathing in the Riachuelo whilst still looking irresistible, and more broadly any act of looking gorgeous only by employing the amount of change one would typically receive after purchasing a hit of paco in Bajo Flores on a Monday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back