Ballet Classes

absolutrossk

Registered
Hi Everyone!
Just wanted to let everyone know that my wife, Luciana Ravizzi, will be opening her new Ballet Studio in August. She is a graduate of the Royal Ballet School London, and spent 16 years with Scottish Ballet as a professional dancer. She will be offering a number of classes (group and private) for all ages and levels at her new studio in Retiro area (one block from Galeria Pacifico). She speaks both English and Spanish fluently and is a fantastic teacher. For more info on classes and prices etc please check out her new website www.lucianaravizzi.com :)
Thanks,
Ross

This is so interesting that you post about a ballet school. "All ages" in ballet classes means "5-35 years." What about classes for seniors?

I happened to read about a ballet classes for adults and seniors at a theater rehearsal room and contacted the teacher about attending. She told me I could come to the class that night at 19 hs and try it out. If I wanted to attend, I could pay the monthly fee of 700 pesos after the class. I arrived early and peeked inside the studio to see the earlier class in session. All the women were over 50, most of them beginners. One by one the women arrived for the next class. Each one greeted me with a kiss, and in five minutes I knew that I wanted to be a part of this group. Only a few of them had previous ballet instruction. The teacher, probably in her early 40s, was presenting barre exercises that were too complicated for beginners in their 50s and 60s. The recorded piano music was beautiful and inspiring. My mom played piano when I took ballet class in my 20s. Even with previous experience, the barre work was a challenge for me. The teacher focused on technique, not on empowerment. An older body is not flexible like a child's. After only two classes, it was obvious to me that she didn't know how to teach to older women. I decided that I would find a space and offer free classes for seniors. I've been searching for space for the past month. I contacted a ballet studio in my neighborhood but the owners wasn't interested in renting out her studio two days a week from 11:00 -12:30. I'm 70. I studied classical ballet, jazz, tap, in my 20s, studied and taught social dances in my 40s. I've taught tango for 20+ years. I still practice yoga, Pilates and the ballet barre at home. I know that senior women need what dance movement provides: posture, balance, creativity, social connection, self-esteem, discipline, strength, grace, concentration, muscle tone, body alignment, flexible joints, and body awareness. I strongly believe -- if you don't use it, you lose it. Besides the benefits, it's fun to move the body to music. I studied dance and music as a child. I want to share my love of dance and music with others. That's why I give free tango lessons. Now I want to give free dance classes for seniors.

Hello,
Thanks for your post. Firstly I would like to address that the presumption that my wife's Ballet classes are only for ages between 5-35. This is incorrect. She and the other teachers she works with teach ALL ages, including seniors. My wife actually has a number of students who in their 40's-50's-60's.

I understand the frustration of barre exercises being too complicated and this is down to the individual teacher and their expertise. Some teachers are better suited to teaching beginners and some others towards intermediate and advanced. My wife has group classes for both and the teachers have bene chosen for these specific classes, but she also teaches private classes for any age and level and has an excellent understanding of peoples abilities and how to progress.

I think your idea of senior classes is great if the need is there. Currently my wife doesn't have specific classes for this as she has never had this feedback and her more senior students have always enjoyed being in a mixed class at their respective level. But it is perhaps something she may consider in the future.

Thanks again for your feedback it is much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Ross

Yes, there is a large population of seniors interested in dance and fitness. All I do is mention my interest in teaching a beginning ballet class for seniors (65+) and women say "sign me up." Senior women don't want or need private classes for two reasons: the cost, especially if they live on retirement, and they want social interaction with others in the class.

This is the class description I read online and then signed up:

The classes respect the basis of classical dance considering the physical and technical development of the people who are in the class. There will also be a section devoted to elongation and movement of the arms to favor an improvement in posture and to help alleviate osteoarthritis and problems related to age.

Objectives: to be better physically and psychologically; Achieve goals; improve posture, flexibility and coordination, have more musicality; be more harmonious; be in the group and empower yourself from the space.

For all, with and without experience.

The teacher didn't consider the physical and technical abilities of the women. One woman (53) started as a complete beginner to ballet in February. I thought she had ballet experience because she was the only slim women besides me in the class. The barre exercises were suited for advanced dancers taking class several times a week. The teacher was more concerned in correcting my turnout -- unrealistic and impossible.

Back