Banco Galicia: international transfer, 2 weeks and no money deducted yet?

kiwi37

Registered
I did an international transfer from my Argie peso account with Banco Galicia to an account in Europe, 15 days ago.

The money hasn't even been deducted from my Galicia account. ???

Does anyone know how long it takes? Is this normal? If a legal normal bank transfer can't even work (idk why it wouldn't, but assuming), what other methods do I have to get my money out of this country, in a normal, legal way (no bitcoin or buying dollars on street)?

Has anyone been successful with this, and if so, which banks are you with? I'm willing to open several bank accounts to try this, because I need to get my money out within the next month, I am leaving and this is the only money I have!

Thanks.... very frustrated...

Last edited:
Hi Comodoro,

I went to the bank and filled out this intl transfer form they ask to fill out (info about both accounts, intermediate bank, etc). I triple checked everything with the agent, and then she signed the papers, and told me it would be processed. That was on February 7th. Since then... crickets...

I'll go back tomorrow to investigate.

Last edited:
Do you realize that it's been like 2 or 3 banking days since then because of banking union strikes and holidays?

I was aware of carnaval, but not of the strikes.... I guess this is normal then. I'll be patient and see.

I did an international transfer from my Argie peso account with Banco Galicia to an account in Europe, 15 days ago.

The money hasn't even been deducted from my Galicia account. ???

Does anyone know how long it takes? Is this normal? If a legal normal bank transfer can't even work (idk why it wouldn't, but assuming), what other methods do I have to get my money out of this country, in a normal, legal way (no bitcoin or buying dollars on street)?

Has anyone been successful with this, and if so, which banks are you with? I'm willing to open several bank accounts to try this, because I need to get my money out within the next month, I am leaving and this is the only money I have!

Thanks.... very frustrated...
You cannot transfer from a peso account to an account denominated in a different currency.

You cannot transfer from a peso account to an account denominated in a different currency.

But the bank let me do the transfer? Will it just not go through?

Do you know if I can get a USD account with Galicia with a temporary residency visa (I have a DNI)? They have refused me this service when I asked. I may have to move to another bank which lets me do this. Is Santander Rio, or HSBC any good?

Is MoneyGram reliable?

At this stage I don't really care if it's cheap anymore, I've accepted I'm going to lose quite a bit in the process. I would just like to see this money arrive safe and sound in the US or in Europe.

Last edited:
But the bank let me do the transfer? Will it just not go through?

Do you know if I can get a USD account with Galicia with a temporary residency visa (I have a DNI)? They have refused me this service when I asked. I may have to move to another bank which lets me do this. Is Santander Rio, or HSBC any good?

Is MoneyGram reliable?

At this stage I don't really care if it's cheap anymore, I've accepted I'm going to lose quite a bit in the process. I would just like to see this money arrive safe and sound in the US or in Europe.

They only way to to it is by opening an account in usd or euro ( if you send usd the destination account has to be in usd and so on. You can try to do it in another bank, however if you are only opening an account for this transfer, I think they are not going to be very willing to accommodate you. How long have you had your Galicia account for?

Not sure how much money this is about, but it might be cheaper to trade with some other expat that sends money to your foreign account and you give them the money here. Also, if the money comes from selling property, the bank must open an account in foreign currency if you are not a perm resident.

I see. We're talking sending 10k-15K USD. I don't want to trade with a stranger who I don't know, because I have no certainty he/she won't simply just run off with the money.

I've had my Galicia account for now 6 months.

Back