Basic Eye Exam

BaltRochGirl

Registered
Are there any places to get walk-in eye exams, all I need is to read the chart and have the doc mark 20/20 on a simple form in English with my basic info and his basic info. I'm hoping I don't need an appointment to do this, and don't have to have any other things done as it's not necessary. Best would be a place in Recoleta/Barrio Norte and a Doc who speaks some English would be fine but not totally necessary. I'm used to eyeglasses stores with their own opticians on staff who can do this but since I don't wear glasses I don't know how it works here.

Some of the opticas (eyeglass stores) have their own testing room and qualified person out back. There is one i've been to before on santa fe near the plaza italia's underground stop. You should be able to find something similar in recoletta i'd imagine. If I remember correctly last time I had my eyes tested they charged me a nominal fee. For free I have no idea. Hope this helps,

Good Luck!

Some of the opticas (eyeglass stores) have their own testing room and qualified person out back. There is one i've been to before on santa fe near the plaza italia's underground stop. You should be able to find something similar in recoletta i'd imagine. If I remember correctly last time I had my eyes tested they charged me a nominal fee. For free I have no idea. Hope this helps,

Good Luck!

I have no issue paying a basic fee, just hoping to avoid a full exam charge as I don't need anything other than the chart exam, but it needs to be a licensed doctor that's the only issue.

check the Optician on Larrea Between Sta. Fe and Marcelo T. Alvear, Recoleta it's a licensed Optician . Not sure if She can issue a vision prescription? Or the fee. Normally she requires a prescription from an Ophthalmologist for

Are there any places to get walk-in eye exams, all I need is to read the chart and have the doc mark 20/20 on a simple form in English with my basic info and his basic info. I'm hoping I don't need an appointment to do this, and don't have to have any other things done as it's not necessary. Best would be a place in Recoleta/Barrio Norte and a Doc who speaks some English would be fine but not totally necessary. I'm used to eyeglasses stores with their own opticians on staff who can do this but since I don't wear glasses I don't know how it works here.

It sounds like you need to prove your eye sight is good for a job. Any doctor is going to do more than ask you to read the chart on the wall before signing something official.

Hospital Santa Lucia on Av. San Juan in San Cristobal specializes in opthalmologia. Those who can't afford to pay go early in the morning around 6:00 to get a number and then wait their turn to see a doctor.

Go to the OSDE site and check their list of eye doctors in Recoleta. Then make an appointment with one who speaks English. It will cost around 400 pesos (less than 30 USD at the blue rate).

It sounds like you need to prove your eye sight is good for a job. Any doctor is going to do more than ask you to read the chart on the wall before signing something official.

Hospital Santa Lucia on Av. San Juan in San Cristobal specializes in opthalmologia. Those who can't afford to pay go early in the morning around 6:00 to get a number and then wait their turn to see a doctor.

Go to the OSDE site and check their list of eye doctors in Recoleta. Then make an appointment with one who speaks English. It will cost around 400 pesos (less than 30 USD at the blue rate).

Nope I simply need the Snellen 20/20 score, that's all. I don't have OSDE so was hoping for something without needing an appointment. Thanks!

Nope I simply need the Snellen 20/20 score, that's all. I don't have OSDE so was hoping for something without needing an appointment. Thanks!

Why? What's the purpose of a Snellen 20/20 score? A basic exam includes viewing the eye with special equipment. Otherwise, an opthalmologist isn't doing his job.

You don't need to have an OSDE plan to call an OSDE doctor. If you don't want an appointment (more efficient), then go and wait your turn at the hospital.

When you're here longer, you'll learn that waiting in line is a national pastime, whether to pay a bill, see a doctor, or whatever. Argentines can't imagine a scenario of just dropping in without an appointment and leaving in a few minutes with the paperwork completed. Nothing happens quickly here in a New York minute.

Would also want to know ? free of charge?

I ended up going to the Centro de Ojos on Azcuenaga 1677, it was not free of charge but only 300 pesos. I just walked in, thought their website has a online appointment request form, and I was in and out in under 30 minutes. The doctor filled out the form I needed with my assistance. Also FYI they use a different numbering scale in Argentina so if you're not 20/20 better to print out a comparison chart to bring with you for them to give you the proper exam results.

Be forewarned that I had a lot of problems using my eye exam results from here to order contact lenses in the US. Although 1800Contacts Claimed they could send me the contacts (to a US address) no problem, a WEEK later they came to the conclusion that they couldn't verify the prescription. I finally got the lenses by walking into an optical store there. I'm posting this in case anyone else out there was hoping to take a prescription from here to fill in the US (MUCH CHEAPER for lenses and cool glasses there!) you can do it, but probably NOT from an online service due to US prescription requirements. Score:another point for the giant US health care industry influencing consumers choices...

Back