Beatnik Buenos Aires honors its artists to a fault

Ries

Registered
A very good friend of mine runs the fantagraphics retail store- I will have to get him to save me a copy, as they print limited runs, and they often sell out. I nabbed one of the very last hardback copies of the english translation of El Eternauta a while ago, and they did a trade paperback last year, which, I think, also promptly sold out.
This looks very interesting, right up my alley.

Pierre Smith

Registered
Given how important knowing something about Argentina is to understanding works by Argentine artists, I'm not sure I trust an African living in Chicago to provide much in the way of value in terms of a review of a work like that, but thanks for the notice, definitely worth a look.

Ries

Registered
I want to read it not based on the review, but based on who wrote it, and what its about. When I get a copy, I will give you my review.

In the meanwhile, I will watch the 2014 film its based on, directed by the author of the book.
A lot of this crowd hung out in my chosen neighborhood, Retiro, where I have a studio space in Galeria del Este, so its of particular interest to me. IN the 60s, that area was a hot bed of art, music, and poetry. There is a map in the film, hand drawn, showing the places they hung out. Its basically my ground zero in BA. And its still a really great area, for culture.

Last edited:

Ries

Registered
My buddy is saving me a copy, he expects the english language version fantagraphics is publishing to sell out in a month or so. Comics fans are pretty rabid, and pretty much anything fantagraphics publishes sells like crazy.

Ries

Registered
I got it yesterday. Its pretty great- its a rabidly drawn graphic novel of a few crazy stories, anecdotes about the scene. All, more or less true. And the really funny thing is- how similar it is to the Buenos Aires of today. I know people who are the modern equivalents of all of the ones depicted- crazier, in some cases. There are still bars like that, there are still raving madmen wandering around at night, its part of what makes BA great.