Becoming a naturalised citizen and DNI number

Tomas Banks

Registered
A question for anyone who's gone through the naturalisation process in Argentina. After becoming a citizen do they give you a new DNI number, one that doesn't identify you as a foreign resident by starting with the number "9"? I've considered taking out citizenship for a long time, since this is where I live, but don't want to go through the process of changing my DNI everywhere there's a record of it.

I think you have the 9 forever. Your descendants may have non-9 numbers, but
the original naturalized citizen keeps the 9. I think!

A friend of mine went through this process. He got a new DNI number, not starting with "9", had to apply for a new CUIL/CUIT. And to update these ids everywhere.

A question for anyone who's gone through the naturalisation process in Argentina. After becoming a citizen do they give you a new DNI number, one that doesn't identify you as a foreign resident by starting with the number "9"? I've considered taking out citizenship for a long time, since this is where I live, but don't want to go through the process of changing my DNI everywhere there's a record of it.

Yes you will have to get a new DNI number. Still be advised that it takes at least 12 months -- more like 18-20 months -- to get the tarjeta de ciudadania if you meet all the requirements and there are no complications along the way. So no need to have everything figured out now.

I never did the residency process, only the naturalization process. Women have a DNI 19.xxx.xxx. Men 18.xxx.xxx. The front of the DNI indicates nationality as ARGENTINA, and the back of the DNI states place of birth and date of naturalization.

You get a new one. New CUIT/CUIL. A lot of paperwork to change everything...

I never did the residency process, only the naturalization process. Women have a DNI 19.xxx.xxx. Men 18.xxx.xxx. The front of the DNI indicates nationality as ARGENTINA, and the back of the DNI states place of birth and date of naturalization.
I believe the first two numbers depend on the year of birth or maybe year naturalized (?) with (naturalized) Argentinian citizens and not the gender. At least my DNI does not start with 18.

I talked with two naturalized citizens, one born in India and the other in Peru. They both received new numbers. So, I won’t do it. I don’t want to have to change my DNI number everywhere it’s written down, often in digital records.

Let,s compile a list of places one would need to change a DNI number

Padrón electoral to vote
Bank account

Back