Belgrano Vs. Other Neighbourhoods In Buenos Aires

yd_mtl

Registered
Just in case you were under the impression that I'm an expat living in Buenos Aires, I want to say that I'm not - I haven't even set foot in Argentina nor indeed anywhere in Latin America yet (I live in Montreal), though I'd love to go down there. Nevertheless, as I'm interested in places like Buenos Aires, I have a few questions with regard to Belgrano and other neighbourhoods in Buenos Aires:

1) Does Belgrano have more in common with Nuñez or Saavedra or Coghlan or Colegiales or Villa Ortuzar than with Palermo?

2) Is Villa Urquiza a middle-class to upper-middle-class area but not quite as over the top as Belgrano, let alone Recoleta or Palermo?

3) Does the higher density in Belgrano come not just from the Parisian (Hausmann) model of central-city density and desirability but also from characteristically postwar Latin American/Southern European patterns of placing high-rise apartment towers in many neighbourhoods regardless?

3) Does the higher density in Belgrano come not just from the Parisian (Hausmann) model of central-city density and desirability but also from characteristically postwar Latin American/Southern European patterns of placing high-rise apartment towers in many neighbourhoods regardless?

Are you writing a thesis? hahah
To answer, kind of yes to all 3...I suppose...

I don't really understand how this would be so much of a 'WTF' question,
although, as far as the third question is concerned, so much specific intellectual interest in a neighbourhood without actually knowing the city is bit odd.

But, at least it's better than the hordes of young people who just come here to get drunk.

I think you should just read a couple of wikipedia articles on the barrios, there are quite a lot of them in English. For must of us, Belgrano just feels very far away from everything, and it hasn't got any real landmarks or something. It definitely has this a bit more wealthy feel you'll also find in Palermo. Villa Urquiza is a way more residential neighbourhood, even looks like a rather peaceful and boring village sometimes, and does not have so many high-rise buildings.

Anyway, just come and see for yourself! Don't be an armchair discoverer!

Just in case you were under the impression that I'm an expat living in Buenos Aires, I want to say that I'm not - I haven't even set foot in Argentina nor indeed anywhere in Latin America yet (I live in Montreal), though I'd love to go down there. Nevertheless, as I'm interested in places like Buenos Aires, I have a few questions with regard to Belgrano and other neighbourhoods in Buenos Aires:

1) Does Belgrano have more in common with Nuñez or Saavedra or Coghlan or Colegiales or Villa Ortuzar than with Palermo?

2) Is Villa Urquiza a middle-class to upper-middle-class area but not quite as over the top as Belgrano, let alone Recoleta or Palermo?

This sounds like you're writing a paper, not researching a move.

Anyway I'll indulge:

1) Belgrano is a large neighbourhood that varies from high density / high rise housing to large single family homes (often very expensive, and often used by embassies). Nunez is very different from one end to the other, near main streets much more high-rises, as you get towards zona norte more low rise / PHs. Saavedra is even less dense, and less wealthy, middle class / lower middle class. many PHs of 50-80 years. Coghlan is a small neighbourhood that is mixed again, single family homes and smaller high rises, wealthier generally than Saavedra. Colegiales also a mixed neighbourhood. Villa Ortuzar is mostly smaller 4 storey buildings and PHs, very high demand and hard to find PHs in the area as it is tiny, it is well placed, and once you're in your probably not leaving any time soon. This said, there are always higher density buildings along main avenues in each barrio, and in pretty much every one of them you have a full spectrum of income from very wealthy to squatter homes (and villas, there is one in Nunez/Saavedra, there's a lot of casas tomadas as well).

2) First, Belgrano is over the top only in extremely specific streets, so I would never really ever consider it an over the top neighbourhood (there are plenty of other barrios that would fit that description). Villa Urquiza is our new neighboughood, we just moved here from Las Canitas a couple of weeks ago. Again there is a very large mix of people, by Triunvirato it is much more working class feeling, by the vias etc. However there are many very nice houses, a good mix of schools private/public religious and non-. For what we would have paid for a 60m2 3amb (before expenses) in Las Canitas we now are in a 90m2 + terraza with garage home with no expenses. Trade off is we don't have any really decent restaurants within walking distance.

3)This is why everyone assumes your writing a paper. I have no idea. Google it, or learn some spanish so you can read some city planning articles from the govt on the web.

For must of us, Belgrano just feels very far away from everything, and it hasn't got any real landmarks or something. It definitely has this a bit more wealthy feel you'll also find in Palermo. Villa Urquiza is a way more residential neighbourhood, even looks like a rather peaceful and boring village sometimes, and does not have so many high-rise buildings.

Belgrano is so far away from everything? That's like saying "I know Buenos Aires, between Sta Fe and Cordoba, and Juan B Justo and Scalabrini Ortiz". Belgrano is only far away from Puerto Madero -- and even then it's not far since you can take the train to Retiro and then walk 20 mins and you're in PM.

Places that are far away would be Saavedra, because it doesn't have as many connections into town, Coghlan unless everything you want to reach is by train, and Urquiza, again depending on location. Even from Villa Pueyreddon you are only 5 stops on the train to Palermo Hollywood.

As ones knowledge of a city expands, understanding of distances changes. For those that don't know much beyond Recoleta or Palermo, I highly recommend getting yourself out of your barrio just to get a better idea of geography of the city.

Just as an overall comment, your best bet is going to be come down here and check it out for yourself. Depending on your age, interests, work / study etc that will influence where you hang out and may see yourself best fitted. Worry less, get something very temporary at first and then more permanent once you have an idea.

1) As a whole, Belgrano probably has more in common than Nuñez than Palermo, IMO. But, if your in Las Cañitas then no, for me its more like some parts of Palermo.

2) Hrmm "over the top", in what way? Compared to a first world city I dont think you will see any of the neighbourhoods in Buenos Aires as over the top. Recoleta and Palermo are still generally dirty, run down, busy, noisy albeit with a charm. Perhaps Recoleta is cleaner and has nicer old buildings, following from Palermo, Belgrano, Villa Urquiza (if you wanted an order).

3) The historic roots of urban development is not really my specialty, as syngirl suggested, you may have to google this one.

And Yogur griego, how can you say Belgrano is far away? Relatively speaking, its actually fairly central both from a Capital Federal point of view and Buenos Aires. Most of it has good reach of public transport and main street access.

And Yogur griego, how can you say Belgrano is far away? Relatively speaking, its actually fairly central both from a Capital Federal point of view and Buenos Aires. Most of it has good reach of public transport and main street access.
I am just a simple centre of CABA snob

Back