Benefits Of Argentine Citizenship Vs. Permanent Residency

camel

Registered
In this thread about getting Argentine citizenship, Tex made a good point, that I'd like to expand in this thread (so as to not hijack the original thread). Tex said:

I think that in practicality there's really not a big difference between permanent residency and citizenship. The obvious difference is the right to vote. Bajocero noted that having citizenship can keep you from getting deported, but I think if I was in a situation where I was about to be deported, I would likely be quite pleased to leave this country. Also, I think you can go to some European countries without a visa that you would have to get with a U.S. passport. Or you can go to Cuba with the Argentine passport. Also, you wouldn't have to pay reciprocity fees when traveling throughout S. America.

Other than that, I don't see the benefit of going through a complicated process in order to get yet another piece of paper. I'm happy with my permanent residency.

I'd like for folks to add any real benefits you can think of. I'll try to start with a few:

* Yes, you can visit cuba with an Argentine passport, but in reality, US citizens (with only a US passport) visit Cuba already. In fact, the Cuban officials don't stamp US passports in Cuba, to avoid leaving evidence of your visit, I guess.

* From what I've read on the Internet (no first-hand experience here), many countries won't open a simple bank account if you try to open it with a US passport, due to the US's FATCA/FBAR laws. With an Argentine (or any other country) passport, my understanding is you can open bank accounts more easily.

* You have better access to Mercosur countries, for both residency and citizenship. I just read that in Colombia, for example, you have to live there for 5 years to apply for citizenship. However, citizens of other Mercosur countries only have to wait 1 year.

I'm interested in any other pros and cons to Argentine citizenship vs. permanent residency.

The only possible reason I could think of - being able to leave Argentina for long periods of time without having to come back to renew your permanent residency?

Personally I haven't seen any reason to look at citizenship, my perm residency will suffice.

In this thread about getting Argentine citizenship, Tex made a good point, that I'd like to expand in this thread (so as to not hijack the original thread). Tex said:

I'd like for folks to add any real benefits you can think of. I'll try to start with a few:

* Yes, you can visit cuba with an Argentine passport, but in reality, US citizens (with only a US passport) visit Cuba already. In fact, the Cuban officials don't stamp US passports in Cuba, to avoid leaving evidence of your visit, I guess.

* From what I've read on the Internet (no first-hand experience here), many countries won't open a simple bank account if you try to open it with a US passport, due to the US's FATCA/FBAR laws. With an Argentine (or any other country) passport, my understanding is you can open bank accounts more easily.

* You have better access to Mercosur countries, for both residency and citizenship. I just read that in Colombia, for example, you have to live there for 5 years to apply for citizenship. However, citizens of other Mercosur countries only have to wait 1 year.

I'm interested in any other pros and cons to Argentine citizenship vs. permanent residency.

It should be no problem opening a bank account here with permanent residency.

I'm thinking that the only thing that could fall in your favor is that the rules could someday change in the future and somehow be against permanent residency, but since their are protections in the constitution from what I understand, that probably would never happen. Other than what is listed so far, not much really else I can think of. Good post.

I don't think there's any problem leaving Argentina for however long you wish once you have your permanent residency and DNI
After becoming a permanent resident here I left Argentina for almost 25 years and when I came back I had no problems what so ever

You would be looked at more carefully at Ezeiza.
You would not be in trouble should the govt expropriate foreign owned property.

Reactions: Joe
You would not be in trouble should the govt expropriate foreign owned property.

This is something I considered. The #1 thing that you can trust about this gov't is that you can't trust them.

If I buy property in the future, I wouldn't want to be at risk of the gov't changing the laws so that yanqui pelotudos are suddenly not allowed to own property if the government deems them... [insert the latest whim HERE]

Only ONE year you say?

Hmmmmm... I might go looking for #3.

I'm thinking that the only thing that could fall in your favor is that the rules could someday change in the future and somehow be against permanent residency, but since their are protections in the constitution from what I understand, that probably would never happen. Other than what is listed so far, not much really else I can think of. Good post.

Everyone can have the utmost confidence, of course, that the current and future Argentine govts would never even consider violating constitutional protections.

I don't think there's any problem leaving Argentina for however long you wish once you have your permanent residency and DNI
After becoming a permanent resident here I left Argentina for almost 25 years and when I came back I had no problems what so ever

That's not the case as far as I know now. You have to return to Argentina every 3 years (although someone posted recently it's every year) in order to retain your permanent residency. I'll try and dig up the info.

I'm pretty sure that if I left this country for a period of longer than a few months, I'd never come back.
But that's another issue.
I'll stick with perm res; it does exactly what it says on the can.

Back