Best/cheapest Cell Phone Here?

polostar88

Registered
I have an Iphone. It's unlocked. Is it possible to get a local cell number for it while I'm here? What is the best company/plan to get it with, can you get it prepaid or how does it work?

http://baexpats.org/topic/31124-good-phone-plan/page__hl__movistar#entry271421

I have an Iphone. It's unlocked. Is it possible to get a local cell number for it while I'm here? What is the best company/plan to get it with, can you get it prepaid or how does it work?

Go to a corner kiosko and buy a $10 peso prepaid Movistar Chip. Then you need to charge credit at the same Kiosko .. Recarga Virtual. Hopefully the iphone IS Unblocked .

I bought an unlocked iPhone in the States and brought it down here and was able to use a Personal chip and it works fine.

The only caveat is that we couldn't find any of the micro chips, just the regular-sized ones. We bought a regular sized one and went to an independent shop who cut the chip to size with a template (don't remember which one - probably Galeria Jardin on Florida street has a shop in there that could do this).

You'll have to get the phone number balance charged at various kioscos - you can't have an account unless you have a DNI.

As far as the best company - I'd say it's between Personal and Movistar. I used to have Movistar but changed to Personal when I got my DNI so the family could all be on the same invoiced account. I don't see much difference - they all suck at one time or another.

When my unlocked iPhone 6 arrived in BA a couple of weeks back it only took a 5 minute visit to Movistar (J.B. Justo & Honduras) to get the appropriate SIM/chip and the line transferred from my previous cell phone.
Santiago Guerrero (works in box # 44) was friendly, efficient and eager to assist.

Back