Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Cumaná (Recoleta)

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Buen Agüero (Barrio Norte)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • La Antigua Cocina (Villa Urquiza)

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
Not on the list, but the pulperia Ña Serapia (Av. Las Heras 3357) have killer salteña empanadas.

Lucas said:
Guys, gals true empanadas do not exist anymore, true empanadas were yesterday ones now all are made for home delivery in mass production machines type McDonals not the real thing.
Used to be a great place and was closed long time ago in the corner of Av. Cabildo and Monroe, Belgrano just oposite to Burgio another long standing and probably one of the only surviving shops in this business this one still there as it was funded in the 1930's same decoration (nil) and probably same owner (family) as well.
These were real empanadas deep fried (fritas, beef fill) or oven baked, deep fried were the best and the ones with more inbuild colesterol :) (good for you) but gosh they were delicius with full dripping fat and golden in colour big at least double in size than the actuals ones, the real thing. I don't know for sure if Burgio still made them as they were originally but if your have the oportunity to check it out please do and report back here so everyone knows they still around. Pity the other guys ceased to run the business long time ago in the 70's
These empanadas are history now.

burgioay5.jpg

Burgio's is on Av. Cabildo almost Av. Monroe corner, Barrio Belgrano.
Cheers.

I know Burgio's well, I used to live a few blocks from there. While there's something to be said for nostalgia, I find the Pizza at Burgios to be just standard and the empanadas while tasty have a really gross problem, they don't remove the bone parts and ligaments from the chopmeat so while you are eating that tasty groud beef and dough, every 2 bites, you get a ligament or bone fragment between the teeth, enough to gross me out that I don't eat there. Also the service / attitude of MOST (not all) of the staff is haughty, the act like they are doing you a favor serving overpriced very small portions of Pizza in a shop that is old and dingy, filthy smelly bathroom with NO toilet (just a ceramic framed hole in the floor that you have to squat over.) Not a pleasant place to eat, and if you are looking for an old / nostalgic Pizzeria try one of the ones on Av. Corrientes such as Güerrin, La Americana on Callo y Mitre (my personal pick for the BEST empanadas) or La Mezzeta on Alvarez Thomas in Colegiales / Villa Urquiza. My second favorite place for empanadas is SanJuanino on calle Sanchez Bustamante just off Av. Santa Fe. Have fun eating!!

Davidglen77 said:
I know Burgio's well, I used to live a few blocks from there. very small portions of Pizza in a shop that is old and dingy, filthy smelly bathroom with NO toilet (just a ceramic framed hole in the floor that you have to squat over.)

David your review had me in stitches .Im guessing you and Lucas move (or should that be move bowels) in different circles. This nostalgis thing isnt just food related clearly. Im such an emotional nostalgic person but maybe if Argentina would get its head out of its Peronist past it may be the world power it should be...

fifs2 said:
Davidglen77 said:
I know Burgio's well, I used to live a few blocks from there. very small portions of Pizza in a shop that is old and dingy, filthy smelly bathroom with NO toilet (just a ceramic framed hole in the floor that you have to squat over.)

David your review had me in stitches .Im guessing you and Lucas move (or should that be move bowels) in different circles. This nostalgis thing isnt just food related clearly. Im such an emotional nostalgic person but maybe if Argentina would get its head out of its Peronist past it may be the world power it should be...

Glad you found my post funny. I mean if you have a business that serves food the LEAST you can provide your customers is a clean and dignified toilet, the "placa turca" (hole in the floor) style toilet is a turnoff, I mean squatting down like that makes me feel like my cat Billy when he's in the litter box. Weird but true.:D

Attachments

• Placa Turca.jpg
    Placa Turca.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 9
Davidglen77 said:
fifs2 said:
Glad you found my post funny. I mean if you have a business that serves food the LEAST you can provide your customers is a clean and dignified toilet, the "placa turca" (hole in the floor) style toilet is a turnoff, I mean squatting down like that makes me feel like my cat Billy when he's in the litter box. Weird but true.:D

Cats are smart..I read Billy`s review of the place and it`s more scathing that yours..he said the toilets are so filthy he`d never touch the place..:D

Back