best facturas in BA?

buenoseria

Registered
Hi All,
I'm writing an article about facturas (poor me!) and am looking for some recommendations on the best places in town to get them. My own local one is so good that I don't have a need to seek others out...until now.

Suggestions welcome, especially those that are far-flung, funky, and off-the-beaten path!

Besos,
Allison

Hello Allison

Best facturas in town are in Plaza Mayor (a restaurant) located in San Josè and Venezuela, the best by far, they also have the best pan dulce or our Christmas Bread, people are standing on line for the Pan Dulce when it is Christmas time.
Reina

I'm afraid I can't help you out much but I'd be really interested in your article if you could PM it to me when its published.
I've been here for around 8 years and am sick to the back teeth of hard, often stale, crumbly, overly sweetened with cheap dulce de leche pastries and cakes here. A decent French or Italian style cake is one of the things I most crave from home.
Having said that though, I'm pretty sure that better places exist. I once went to a work meeting and was served warm, fat, fluffy media lunas like nothing I've ever tasted before (I stupidly refrained from finding out where they had been purchased from).
A friend who wrote a successful food blog once did an article on the Panaderia Santa Teresita in Las Canitas (and raved about it)...Might be worth checking out.

The best medialunas de manteca are in Huber´s. They just sell them. It is in Barrio Norte, I can´t remember the address exactly, is Aguero and Jose Maria Gutierrez. Regards

It's hard to find good facturas because very few places use real butter anymore. Even the "medialunas de manteca" are often made without actual manteca. That said, Hausbrot DOES use only real butter, organic whole grains and natural sweeteners in their goodies. I love the taste -- rich, fresh and real -- but I know that the idea of using whole grains in a factura might be blasphemous to the white-flour purists (let's just say I was NOT allowed to bring an organic, whole-wheat pan dulce to Christmas Eve dinner...) ;)

The bakery at the Alvear Palace, forget the name, is not bad. Haven't been there in awhile but the croissants were more authentic French than most places. There was a place in the microcenter that had great medialunas filled with jam. Had a Brazilian sounding name and was on Paraguay or somewhjere near Calle Florida. Maceio? Sorry I forget but they were excellent. Sadly the media lunas in BA are invariably rock hard and flavorless. Cheap ingredients.

i'm not generally fond of facturas or any of that overly sweet bakery stuff. but i am very fond of a little bakery that makes all kinds of (not too) sweet and savory pastries with a real flaky pastry. and the best (non-sweet) medialunas i have had. don't remember the name (although i was there 30 minutes ago) but it is in palermo soho on uriarte between paraguay and guatemala, on the side towards daguereyra (sp?). but NOT the one on the corner of paraguay but a couple of doors up.

ok, if you happen to be around Congreso do not miss Montseny on Rivadavia and Ayacucho ... the building on top of the baker's is amazing itself, a lovely art noveau block of flats known as the Lily House (casa de los lirios) Strongly recommended there are the little cannons (cañoncitos with dulce de leche) of which they make several kinds, same for croissants -sometimes they even have wholewheat ones (integrales) -and last but definitely not least are my absolute faves: libritos de hojaldre (little books) and cuernitos (little horns) but then again I prefer savoury pastries when it comes to Argentine facturas ... lovely to spread cream cheese on!
Try to pass by on a weekday, as it tends to be packed at weekends and even though they are constantly re-stacking the shelves you may not get lucky about the kinds on offer at the time you show up.
Best luck and enjoy!

Back