Best Mexican Resturant In Ba?

naty

Registered
Any suggestions on the best Mexican restaurant in BA? Authentic Mexican.

Gracias

Authentic Mexican....

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(Sorry. Best advice: go to Juanita's Taquería on PCH in Encinitas, CA four days before you depart for BA and don't leave until your flight takes off. If there is a bright centre of Mexican cuisine, this is the country farthest from it.)

Ed took the words (laugh?) right out of my mouth. You can go for "Authentic Mexican" or "Authentic Tex-Mex" in BA, and both are the farthest thing from authentic.

The places I've been aren't bad, but they're not Mexican - just some Agentino's idea of it.

sooooo many....?? Only three Good Ones

http://pickupthefork.com/restaurant-guide/

There is one by the Recoleta cemetery, bad and expensive. The best Mexican restaurant is your kitchen, it's not hard to make your own Mexican fix. BA has all the ingredients, Northern Argentina food has many elements of Mexican food minus the chilies, if you like Mexican food, bring your hot sauce,

The only place in BA that I've ever eaten that even comes close to Tex-Mex (and it's pretty good) is La Fabrica del Taco in Palermo. I haven't actually eaten there in quite some time, but it's run by some Mexican folk and they sell...you guessed it, tacos. Hard and soft, fairly tasty. They even have some good sauces, with a range from Argentino (at least they used to make a joke about it on the bottles) to fairly hot. I think they may have a location in Las Cañitas also.

There's El Salto de Las Ranas on Rodriguez Peña near Santa Fe (across from the Casa Bar). They have a mix of Tex-Mex and a few popularized Mexican dishes. Another place I haven't eaten at in quite some time, not nearly what I consider authentic Mexican meals, being from Texas (where we don't only eat Tex-Mex, BTW), but not bad for here.

There's another place called Taco Box, which is sort of a Tex-Mex fusion place (not sure what it's fused with, or maybe fusion isn't the right word) that has decent food as well.

The only place that, to me, was ever even close to authentic Mexican food was a small place in Pilar across from the Easy/Jumbo shopping mall out there. Argentine-owned but the chef and some of the people who ran the place were Mexican and they imported stuff from Mexico for many of their plates. not exactly in BA city, but certainly the province, but way too far out for a casual trip unless you own a car, and even then it's a good 45-60 minute drive. though given the last few years under Cristina as far as imports go, I doubt they're even still open, or that the quality of their food still be the same.

funny enough, I didn't look at the list posted previously by link - but all three of my items here are on that list. I may even have to look at some of the others.

But as far as I'm concerned, if you are looking for good, authenticate Mexican food here - don't rty too hard and be ready to be disappointed.

There is one by the Recoleta cemetery, bad and expensive. The best Mexican restaurant is your kitchen, it's not hard to make your own Mexican fix. BA has all the ingredients, Northern Argentina food has many elements of Mexican food minus the chilies, if you like Mexican food, bring your hot sauce,

Right you are! In fact, I have huge bottles of chili powder that I bring down every time I go to the States (along with things like Old Bay, Tony Chachere's cajun seasoning and various meat/barbecue seasonings). I make enchiladas with red sauce using chili powder, but salsa verde is more difficult here - you can use (better to be peeled, though difficult to do) green bell peppers in the liquadora, mixed with onions and a touch of jalapeños, vinegar, garlic, etc, because I can't find tomatillos here. But enchiladas are almost Tex-Mex - other dishes can be easier if you can spice up the local ingredients.

When you can't find jalapeños at the verduleria you can almost always find canned "nacho" sliced jalapeños at Jumbo - good for making red picante sauce due to the vinegar-mixed taste of the canned jalapeños.

I've actually found canned chipotle peppers here a couple of times!

Back